Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Scope and Contents This volume of notes is based on Monro's surgical lectures at Edinburgh Medical School, 1774-1775. The manuscript lectures are sub-headed Lectures 1-13 and are in two distinct hands - the first two lectures in one, and the rest in another. The paper is watermarked with a crown and the initials GR, undated, but this L.V.Gerrevink paper commonly used throughout much of the 18th century. Both hands are clear and legible, with just a few corrections, and occasional additions written on the verso of...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two volumes of manuscript notes from the classes of 'Regional Anatomy', 1934-1935, and numbered Volume II and Volume III:
- - Volume II is concerned with the 'Thorax and brain'
- - Volume III is concerned with the 'Head and neck'
Scope and Contents 5 boxes of correspondence between himself and a variety of individuals (including James Watt, Prince Paul Dashkov, John Robison) and on a variety of subjects: linen bleaching, use of lime water, assays of ores, civic water supply, mineralogical specimens, absorption of heat etc 1 box of family letters between Black, his father and his brothers Samuel, George and Thomas ...
Scope and Contents The Alexander Woodcock notebooks contain: Lectures on Anatomy and Physiology - Alexander Jardine Lizar - notebook noted 5 November 1833 Lectures on Chemistry - Doctor Hope - 11 July 1845 A third volume contains: Notes from 1 September 1843 - 20 July 1844 - Patient cases ...
- Student notes 3
- Chemistry 2
- Medicine 2
- Physiology 2
- Calorimeters 1
- Calorimetry 1
- Carbon Dioxide 1
- Medical students 1
- Natural History 1
- Physicians 1
- Students 1
- Surgery 1
- Temperature Measurements 1
- Thermodynamics 1 ∧ less
- Monro, Alexander, 1733-1817 (professor of anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Alston, Charles, 1683-1760 (physician and botanist) 1
- Black, Joseph, 1728-1799 (professor of chemistry, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Cowe, William Rolland Scott, 1915-1987 (surgeon and physician) 1
- Cullen, William, 1710-1790 (chemist and mettalurgist) 1
- Jamieson, Edward Bald, fl 1900 (Lecturer in Anatomy, Edinburgh University) 1
- Lavoisier, Antoine Laurent, 1743-1794 (French chemist) 1
- Robison, John, 1739-1805 (professor of natural philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- University of Glasgow (Scottish University)) 1
- Watt, James, 1736-1819 (engineer) 1
- Whytt, Robert, 1714-1766 (professor of theory of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Woodcock, Alexander, fl. 1832-1846 (student at Edinburgh University) 1 ∧ less