Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Fonds — Volume: Dk.7.29
Scope and Contents Volume entitled Buchananus De Sphaera: George Buchanan, with commentary by Adam King, covering key aspects of mathematical, natural philosophical, and astronomical knowledge from antiquity to the early modern period, from the Christian West and the Islamicate and pre-Islamic East, and from Copernicus to Galileo and Kepler. Bound with this is a second manuscript containing poetry by King.
Scope and Contents The material consists of the Physics courseIntroductio ad physicam specialem, in usum juventutis academicae conscripta1696, and a transcript in both Latin and English along with circa 20 copies of sketches.
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1677
Content Description This notebook contains lectures on the works of Aristotle, dictated by Thomas Craufurd, Regent of Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh, and taken down by student George Dalgliesh. The lectures cover the third and fourth years of Dalgliesh’s degree, and, besides logic and metaphysics, deal with scientific subjects such as physics, astronomy, and anatomy. The notes are embellished with humorous doodles.
- Astronomy 2
- Anatomy 1
- Lectures and Lecturing 1
- Logic 1
- Mathematics 1
- Metaphysics 1
- Poetry 1
- University of Edinburgh -- student lecture notes 1
- University of Edinburgh -- students 1 ∧ less
- English 1
- Aristotle, 384-322 BC (Greek philosopher) 1
- Black, William, fl 1693-1696, Professor 1
- Buchanan, George, 1506-1582 (Scottish expatriate, historian and scholar, anti-absolutist and satyrist of clerical vice) 1
- Craufurd, Thomas, fl 1626-1662 (Regent of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Dalgliesh, George, fl 1660-1662 (University of Edinburgh student) 1