Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 21
Scope and Contents The correspondence is that between a number of persons and Thiselton on his Shakespearean publications. The correspondents, of some 40 in number, include W. Salt Brassington, F. J. Furnivall, and Israel Gollancz.
Dates: [circa 1895]-1916
Scope and Contents The Halliwell-Phillipps Collection includes 16th-century works by Italian, French and Spanish authors. Its strength lies in English books however, especially English drama of the 17th and 18th centuries. The Collection also includes more than 600 plays including works by Ben Jonson, Beaumont and Fletcher, George Chapman, Thomas Middleton, John Webster, John Dryden, Philip Massinger, and William Wycherley. Several are playhouse copies with contemporary stage directions added in manuscript. There...
Dates: 16th century-19th century
Scope and Contents The material in the collection spans a period of 22 years from 1974 to 1996, and consists of several dozens of pages. The content tells of George Mackay Brown's annual cycle and his daily life, and particularly of visits of muses and other friends, as well as referring to publishing and contract matters. Included among the many individuals mentioned or referred to in the letters are: Ernest Marwick, Edwin Muir, Andrew Motion, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Hermann Palsson, Simon Fraser, Esther...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of letters and postcards to close friends John Freeman and John Arlott, as well as analyses of religious questions in poetry. There are circa 20 autograph letters and 10 signed letters to Freeman, 1922-1927, and circa 100 autograph letters to Arlott from the 1940s to the 1970s. The collection also includes BBC typescript broadcasts on The search for flowers, Some rare flowers of the west, ...
Scope and Contents The correspondence consists of autographed letters from Koteliansky to Sir Sidney Philip Waterlow referring to much in the literature of the period including reference to D. H. Lawrence, H. G. Wells, Evelyn Waugh, and Aldous Huxley.
Five signed letters from Bonamy Dobrée to Sir Herbert Grierson relating to a planned Oxford History of English Literature
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-373
Scope and Contents Three autograph and two typed letters signed, nine pages in total, written in Leeds from 25 December 1937 to 14 May 1939. Sent from Bonamy Dobrée to Sir Herbert Grierson, suggesting a commission for a collaboration with Edmund Blunden to produce a volume on the late 18th century for a planned Oxford History of English Literature and subsequently discussing aspects of its progress.
Dates: 25 December 1937-14 May 1939
Scope and Contents The oldest material in MSS 2851-2875 is dated 1986, and includes essays; drafts of, and corrections to The contenders, The take-over bid, and The smaller sky; revised text, and corrected typescript of The young visitors; publisher's copy of, and notebooks relating to A winter in the hills; revision to, and radio adaptation of ...
Scope and Contents On a title page of one of the two volumes the contents are stated as being notes of Edinburgh University, Rhetoric and English Literature 1878-1879, Historical Course, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The name of James Malloch appears there too. Similar information appears on a title page of the second volume. These contents are stated as being notes of Edinburgh University, Rhetoric and English Literature 1878-1879, Theoretical Course, Mondays and Tuesdays. This volume shows the name, James Malloch....
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of Lecture notes on English Literature and Divinity taken down during 1955-1956, with the English Literature notes including: - Dr. Johnson - Critical Theory, given by A. M. Clarke - The seventeenth century, also given by A. M. Clarke There are also Supplementary notes on: Wordsworth; Shelley; Matthew Arnold; and,...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-352
Scope and Contents This collection includes a total of 23 Walter De la Mare letters dating from 1926 to 1953 including: 14 letters to Mrs. Verity (7 autograph letters signed and 7 typed letters signed); 3 autograph letters signed to Marie Lamigeon; 6 typed letters signed to various other people. More perspective on Walter De la Mare's thinking can be understood regarding this important and accomplished English poet and novelist.
- English literature | 20th century 18
- Scottish literature | 20th century 4
- Correspondence 3
- English literature 2
- English literature | Criticism, Textual | 2
- Lectures and Lecturing 2
- Poetry 2
- Poets 2
- Art, Byzantine | 1
- Art, Islamic | 1
- Art, Medieval 1
- Arts 1
- Authors 1
- Biography 1
- Broadcasters | 1
- English literature | Old English, ca. 450-1100 | 1
- French literature 1
- Gays' writings | 1
- Literature 1
- Orkney Scotland 1
- Radio Broadcasting 1
- Rhetoric 1
- Stromness (Scotland) 1
- Student lecture notes 1
- Students 1
- Typescripts 1 ∧ less
- English 11
- English 8
- Multiple languages 1
- Murry, John Middleton, 1889-1957 (writer, reviewer) 2
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 (playwright) 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (English poet, author and critic) 1
- Brown, George Mackay, 1921-1996 (writer and poet) 1
- Brunner, Hugo, b. 1935 (publisher) 1
- Butt, John, 1906-1965 1
- Dobrée, Bonamy, 1891-1974 (Professor of English Literature, University of Leeds) 1
- Durcan, Paul, b. 1944, Literary critic 1
- Green, Martin, fl. 1969-1970, Literary critic 1
- Grierson, Herbert John Clifford, 1866-1960 (literary critic and professor of English Literature) 1
- Halliwell-Phillipps, J. O. (James Orchard), 1820-1889 (antiquarian and scholar) 1
- Koteliansky, Samuel Solomonovich, 1880-1955, Translator 1
- Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930 (poet novelist and essayist) 1
- Lawrence, David Herbert, Poet Novelist and Essayist (1885-1930) 1
- Lindsay, John Maurice, 1918-2009 (Scottish poet) 1
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 (Scottish poet) 1
- Malloch, James, fl. 1878-1879 1
- Mansfield, Katherine, 1888-1923 1
- Mare, Walter de la, 1873-1956 (poet and writer) 1
- Masson, David Mather, 1822-1907 (Regius Professor of Rhetoric and Belles Lettres, Edinburgh University) 1
- Morland, Samuel, Sir, 1625-1695 1
- Nye, Robert, 1939-2016 (poet, writer, critic) 1
- Philip, Robert George, fl. 1900 1
- Renwick, William Lindsay, 1889-1970 (professor) 1
- Rice, David Talbot, 1903-1972 (art historian) 1
- Saintsbury, George Edward Bateman, 1845-1933 (literary critic and historian) 1
- Spenser, Edmund, 1552-1599 1
- Stam, Dr., David H., b. 1935 (University Librarian Emeritus) 1
- Thiselton, Alfred Edward, 1857-1904, Writer on Shakespeare 1
- Two Rivers (Literary Journal) 1
- Urquhart, Frederick Burrows, 1912-1995 1
- Wain, John Barrington, CBE, 1925-1994 (English poet) 1
- Waterlow, Sydney Philip, 1878-1944, Sir (Knight Diplomat) 1
- Young, Andrew John, 1885-1971 (Canon of Chichester Cathedral, Poet) 1 ∧ less