Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries, legal documents, inventories, student notes, sermons, and business accounts relating to the members of the Anderson, Urquhart, and Graham families (all related). The material covers the 18th and 19th centuries and relates to subjects as varied as ironmongery, sea travel, study of humanities in the 1820s, preaching and sermons, school teaching, etc. This collection provides an excellent insight into the daily life in Edinburgh in the late 1700s and in the 1800s.
Content Description This fonds contains the papers of: Professor Alexander Christison FRSE (1751-1820), Professor of Humanity at the University of Edinburgh from 1806 to his death in 1820, father of Sir Robert Christison. Sir Robert Christison, 1st Baronet, FRSE FRCSE FRCPE (1797-1882), toxicologist and physician, father of Sir Alexander Christison (1828-1918). John Christison (1789-1862),...
Dates: 1785-1904; 1979
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 2
- Family History 2
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 2
- Family records | 1
- Scotland -- Wishaw 1
- Scotland | History | 17th century 1 ∧ less
- English 1
- English 1
- Multiple languages 1
- Anderson (Edinburgh) 1
- Christison, Robert, Sir, 1797-1882 (toxicologist and physician) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Graham (Edinburgh) 1