Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Scope and Contents The papers at MSS 3086-3090 consist of biographical notes on African and missionary colleagues dating from 1893; diaries from 1897 onwards; wayside and journey notes and jottings; extracts from newspapers; notes on folklore; letters; film strip showing pictures of missionary work; notebooks; and, correspondence with church ministers in Scotland. There are printed items, including the catechism and hymns in the Chitonga language; psalms in Tonga; dictionaries; the grammar of the Bemba language;...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: 1 box of circa 20 glass plate negatives of the All Africa Youth Conference, 1960s, village elders, and the Limuru Conference Centre, Kenya 1 file of circa 60 letters relating to the Nigeria / Biafra war, 1969-1970 1 file of correspondence and printed matter relating to the National Council of Churches of Kenya, and NCCK Partners election...
Scope and Contents Autograph manuscript of MacBrair's 'sketch' of the grammar of the Foolah (or Foulah) language spoken by the pastoral Foulahs (or Fulani), the Teucorlars (or Tukulors) and the Laubies of the interior of Western Africa, bound together.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of material about the Church of Scotland mission in Kenya, about Kikuyu language and culture, and about the interests and concerns of Africans and their relation to the government. In particular it includes: Barlow's comments on and additions to theKikuyu-English Dictionaryby L.J. Beecher and G.S.B. Beecher (including volumes of the 1935 dictionary with Barlow's handwritten amendments) with correspondence (1956-1962) about the publication of a revised version; Barlow's...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of nineteen letters from Scott to his close friend the Reverend James Robertson written mainly from Blantyre, Nyasaland (Malawi) from the time of his arrival in 1881 to 1895, the year in which his wife and brother died. They describe in some detail the work of the mission and his experiences in Africa.
Fonds — Box: Gen.2180, Folder: Gen.2180/3
Scope and Contents The collection covers the period of the controversy over the Central African Federation and the protests of the nationalist movement under Hastings Banda. The material includes papers, memoranda, telegrams and reports by Taylor and others relating to the position of the church, mission and teacher training college at Livingstonia and giving their opinions on the events in Nyasaland. Statements and correspondence are directed to the government, the Devlin Commission of Enquiry and to...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection consists mainly of correspondence and papers (1907-1949) including letters from Arthur to his mother; circular letters and newsletters from the Kikuyu mission; sections from Arthur's diaries and notes on his travels throughout East Africa; reports on missionary conferences; memoranda by Arthur and others on native affairs such as the labour question, land tenure, education and female circumcision; minutes, memoranda and papers of the Kikuyu Association and the Kikuyu Mission...
Scope and Contents Contains material relating to Central Africa, 1958-64, and to Rhodesia, 1965-70. There is material on South Africa particularly on apartheid, the Springbok tour, and arms for South Africa; Congo; race relations; colour and citizenship; the United Nations; the UK; and, Sweden and other countries. There are newspaper cuttings and also pamphlets, the latter on African independence, the Church, Sweden, the rule of law, politics, immigration, Rhodesia, South Africa, and international agencies. In...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Robert Laws consist of notebooks and papers mainly relating to the work of the Livingstonia Mission in Nyasaland (now Malawi), including notebooks on African languages. There is correspondence and other papers and also printed items including translations from the Bible and grammars.
Dates: c 1875-1934
Scope and Contents The collection consists of four letters from Moffat (c 1841, 1873-1875) referring to engagements and to payment for 'Scripture Lessons'; The Lords Prayer in Tswana in Moffat's hand (after 1870); an engraved, autographed portrait of Moffat; and the first verse of a hymn in the Tswana language in Moffat's hand (1841).
Dates: [ca. 1841]-1875
- Missions (Africa) 5
- Missions (Linguistic work) 4
- Linguistics 3
- Malawi | Languages | 3
- Female circumcision | Kenya | 2
- Linguists | 2
- Malawi | Politics and government | 2
- Missions 2
- Missions (China) 2
- Zambia | Languages | 2
- China 1
- China -- Shandong 1
- Diaries 1
- Fula language 1
- Kenya 1
- Kenya | 1963-1978 | Politics and government | 1
- Kenya | 1978-2002 | Politics and government | 1
- Kenya | To 1963 | Politics and government | 1
- Kikuyu language | 1
- Languages, Modern 1
- Malawi 1
- Missions (History) 1
- Missions | South Africa | 1
- Namibia 1
- Namibia | 1946-1990 | Politics and government | 1
- Namibia | 1990- | Politics and government | 1
- Nyanja language | 1
- Photograph albums 1
- Pingtan Xian (China) 1
- Schools 1
- Tswana language | 1
- Women missionaries 1
- Zambia 1
- Zambia | Description and travel | 1
- Zambia | Politics and government | 1
- photograph 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- English 5
- Kikuyu; Gikuyu 2
- Bemba 1
- Fulah 1
- Swahili 1 ∧ less
- Arthur, John William, 1881-1952, Medical Missionary in Kenya 1
- Barlow, Arthur Ruffell, 1888-1965 (Scottish Missionary) 1
- Church Missionary Society 1
- Drake, Frederick Seguier, 1892-1974 (English Baptist priest; Dean of the School of Chinese, University of Hong Kong) 1
- Freshwater, Nancy (Annie), 1874-1959, Wife of Missionary 1
- Freshwater, Will, 1872-1936, Missionary 1
- Harrison, Eleanor Jane, 1872-1930 (Missionary in China) 1
- Hitchcock, Maud, b 1882 (née Sinclair | missionary in China) 1
- Hutton, Elizabeth 1
- Laws, Amelia Nyasa, 1886-1978 (medical practitioner) 1
- Laws, Robert, 1851-1934 (Scottish missionary) 1
- London Missionary Society 1
- MacBrair, Robert Maxwell, fl 1836-1843 1
- Macalpine, Alexander Gillon, 1869-1957 1
- Mackenzie, Kenneth, 1920-1971 1
- Marwick, William Hutton, 1863-1940, Scottish Missionary 1
- Moffat, Robert, 1795-1883, Scottish Missionary 1
- Scott, David Clement Ruffell, 1853-1907, Scottish Missionary 1
- Taylor, Helen M., fl.1933-1963 (Church of Scotland Missionary) 1 ∧ less