Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Archive of Sheena Lillian Tennant Kendall
Content Description This fonds consists of autograph sheet music, printed music sheets, notebooks, and diaries of Sheena Lillian Tennant Kendall, "one of the first women composers" who studied under the famous Parisian composer and music teacher Nadia Boulanger. Most items are related to Kendall's music and her music- and theatre-related social activities in Munich and in London, but there are also three diaries describing her trip to India in 1912-1913. ...
Letters from Kenneth Leighton to Neil Mackie
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-760
Content Description This fonds contains three letters (two originals, one copy) sent from Kenneth Leighton to Scottish tenor Neil Mackie in 1986 and 1987, relating to Leighton's composition "Earth, Sweet Earth" performed the first time by Neil Mackie in 1987. Letter dated 25 June 1986, in which Leighton informs Mackie that ""Earth Sweet Earth" is now finished" and that "[he is] sending [him] a copy of the text". He goes on to say...
Papers of George Firth relating to his published work on Donald Tovey
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of a typed draft, other drafts, a spiral bound copy of Donald Francis Tovey a portrait of a great man and a loose-leaf copy. There is also correspondence, transcriptions and copies of correspondence, scripts, notes, talks, programmes, photographs, and ephemera.
Papers of Joseph Joachim and family
Scope and Contents The papers consist of letters, notes, newspaper clippings, photographs, concert programmes and music scores mainly relating to Joseph Joachim. Most of the records date from the later part of his life and after his death. Other members of his family are mentioned too, in particular his wife Amalie Joachim and his nephew Harold Henry Joachim, as well as his grand-nieces Jelly d'Arányi and Adila Fachiri.The collection contains descriptions of Joseph Joachim’s character by his relatives,...
Dates: 19th-20th century
The Tovey Collection
Scope and Contents The papers include a wide range of material ranging from notes and drafts of lectures to accounts and administrative material, drafts of broadcasts to photographs and diaries, and cuttings and reviews. There is also correspondence between Tovey and Weisse, Tovey and Joachim, and Tovey and Speyer. There are also other miscellaneous papers and material.Alongside Tovey's own papers are those of his biographer Mary Grierson, who appears to have added to the original collection while using it...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1887-1977
- Composers 4
- Music | 19th century | 2
- Musicians 2
- Composition (Music) 1
- Concerts 1
- Correspondence 1
- Family papers 1
- India 1
- Music History and criticism 1
- Sheet music 1
- Theatre 1
- Travel writing 1
- Violinists 1
- women musicians 1 ∧ less
- English 2
- English 2
- Multiple languages 1
- Boulanger, Juliette Nadia, 1887-1979 (French composer and music teacher) 1
- Firth, George, 1901-1983 (scientist, professional singer, teacher, choral and orchestral conductor, lecturer, administrator and author) 1
- Grierson, Mary Gardner (pianist and conductor) 1
- Joachim, Joseph, 1831-1907 (violinist) 1
- Kendall, Sheena Lilian Grant, 1883-1974 (composer) 1
- Leighton, Kenneth, 1929-1988 (Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Mackie, Neil, b 1946 (Scottish tenor) 1
- Newman, Sidney Thomas Mayow (Reid Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Tovey, Sir Donald Francis, 1875-1940 (Reid Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Weisse, Sophie, 1852-1945 (Scottish music teacher) 1 ∧ less