Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Content Description This fonds consists of autograph sheet music, printed music sheets, notebooks, and diaries of Sheena Lillian Tennant Kendall, "one of the first women composers" who studied under the famous Parisian composer and music teacher Nadia Boulanger. Most items are related to Kendall's music and her music- and theatre-related social activities in Munich and in London, but there are also three diaries describing her trip to India in 1912-1913. ...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of a typed draft, other drafts, a spiral bound copy of Donald Francis Tovey a portrait of a great man and a loose-leaf copy. There is also correspondence, transcriptions and copies of correspondence, scripts, notes, talks, programmes, photographs, and ephemera.
Scope and Contents The papers include a wide range of material ranging from notes and drafts of lectures to accounts and administrative material, drafts of broadcasts to photographs and diaries, and cuttings and reviews. There is also correspondence between Tovey and Weisse, Tovey and Joachim, and Tovey and Speyer. There are also other miscellaneous papers and material.Alongside Tovey's own papers are those of his biographer Mary Grierson, who appears to have added to the original collection while using it...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1887-1977
- Composers 2
- Musicians 2
- Concerts 1
- India 1
- Music History and criticism 1
- English 2
- English 1
- Boulanger, Juliette Nadia, 1887-1979 (French composer and music teacher) 1
- Firth, George, 1901-1983 (scientist, professional singer, teacher, choral and orchestral conductor, lecturer, administrator and author) 1
- Grierson, Mary Gardner (pianist and conductor) 1
- Kendall, Sheena Lilian Grant, 1883-1974 (composer) 1
- Newman, Sidney Thomas Mayow (Reid Professor of Music, University of Edinburgh) 1