Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Copy of letter of Application and Testimonials in favour of Norman Kemp Smith
Scope and Contents This small group of material consists of:
- Printed item: University of Edinburgh. Chair of Logic and Metaphysics. Letter of Application and Testimonials in favaour of Norman Kemp Smith
- Printed item: University of Edinburgh. Chair of Logic and Metaphysics. Additional Testimonials in favaour of Norman Kemp Smith
Letters, notes, testimonials relating to Professor John Thomson
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: 1833-1841 - mixed documents connected with Professor John Thomson 1836-1847 - series of letters between Thomas Chalmers and the Rev. Dr. Muirhead 1838 - testimonials in favour of John Thomson and in relation to the Reid Professorship 1840 - series of letters from William Chambers (Music publisher) to John Thomson ...
Testament written 3 June 1936 by John Baillie (1886-1960), Professor of Divinity, in favour of Ursula Mary Niebuhr (1907-1997)
Scope and Contents The manuscript testimonial (2-sided letter) dated 3 June 1936 and signed by Professor John Baillie was found alongside some more recent photocopies of other material in a book (unnamed in a lot of 19 titles) purchased by Edinburgh University Library. The testimonial talks of Mrs. Niebuhr's maturity of scholarship, the 'soundness of her judgement' and 'the quick intuitive character of her mind'. The other photocopies are: 1 letter from John Baillie to 'My dear Bishop' dated 29 May 1939, in which...
- Musicians 1
- Women theologians 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Baillie, John, 1886-1960 (Scottish theologian and ecumenical leader) 1
- Niebuhr, Ursula Mary, 1907-1997 (American academic and theologian) 1
- Smith, Norman Kemp, 1872-1958 (Professor of Philosophy) 1
- Thomson, John, Professor, 1805-1841 (musician, first Reid Professor) 1