Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
Fonds — Volume: Dc.3.73
Content Description The volume is concerned mainly with affairs connected with the building of the University of Edinburgh, 1817-1822. It also lists details of income and expenditure during the period and, refers to other projects, clients etc.Playfair's opening paragraph describes this as an abstract of a journal of "the principal transactions and events of my life, chiefly in order to prevent doubt and confusion in matters of business."The volume mentions Playfair taking occupancy of the Mathematics...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of a volume containing reprints of his articles, two diaries for the periods 1910 onwards and 1918 onwards, an illustrated transcript of the diaries with biographical details, and an album of photographs taken mainly in Persia during the First World War. There are also 5 medals.
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: a typescript accountViolet in Nigeriaedited by Margaret A. Kerrich (nee Cragg) from her mother's letters covering the period 1924-1930, and about the life of a District Officer's family; 2 cassette tapes recorded on three of the four sides by Kerrich relating experiences in Nigeria 1931-1932, and based on a diary; a small number of photographs (some of a leopard, possibly 'Piccin'), drawings and miscellaneous items; and, a nameplate for 'Piccin' the leopard which...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of notes and news cuttings at Dc.2.76/17, a dissertation at Gen. 1931, and three manuscript diaries at E2008.14. The material at Dc.2.76/17 consists of a notebook (circa 17 pages) with notes accompanying several newspaper cuttings on various University activities. The front cover is noted 'Edinburgh University / Various Student Activities / 1887-1888'. It contains clippings relating to: the Rectorial Elections 1887 and 1888 and from theScottish Leader28...
Scope and Contents The material is composed of a diary kept by Drummond, and includes R.B's diary (the initials of a woman he was unable to marry), 1736-1738.
Scope and Contents This is the manuscript diary of James nicol (1810-1879), an Edinburgh University student in medicine and natural history, who would later become a geologist and Professor of Natural history at the University of Aberdeen. The journal was written between the 10th of October 1840, to the 21st of March 1841, when he attended the Winter Session at Berlin University. Enclosed in the volume are typed notes, giving a rather detailed index of the diary's contents. In his journal, James Nicol describes...
Scope and Contents Diary of Harriet Rutherford, nee Mitchelson, wife of Daniel Rutherford (professor of botany at the University of Edinburgh), covering starting on the 17 May 1802 and ending on the 7 December 1808.
Scope and Contents Diary of Helena Marshall when she was a student at the 'College of Arts', Edinburgh (NB - not Edinburgh College of Arts, which was founded in 1907, but probably the Faculty of Arts of the University of Edinburgh) and (later) a governess in Russia (Petersburg) and Switzerland. Also journal consisting mainly of notes from lectures at the College of Arts on botany, geology, zoology, electricity, Italian art, etc., 1869.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-842
Scope and Contents The diary is 43pp. long (foolscap). It is a copy of typescript with corrections. It begins with her birth and family circumstances as she grew up, and includes her life as a governess, her marriage and journey to China, the birth of her children, the Taiping Rebellion, medical training in London and studies in Edinburgh, and her return to London. The diary ends in 1886-1887 and with brief description of personal celebrations around the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Journal of European tour, 1889-1890, undertaken by Harry Lindsay Somerled MacDonald and Lilian Margaret Coke
Scope and Contents The journal is in the form of a folio notebook, 69pp with additional blank pages. Original marbled wrappers. It is a diary covering two journeys abroad. The first journey began in December 1889 and took Harry Lindsay Somerled MacDonald and Lilian Margaret Coke on a trip from London to Paris, Marseilles, Corsica, Algiers, Cannes, Nice, Genoa, Rome, Naples, Palermo, again Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, over the Allps, Zurich, heidelberg, Brussels, and back to London on 2 July 1890. The second...
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Bruce, Alexander Low, fl 1873-1891, son in law of David Livingstone 1
- Carruthers, Dr., Samuel William, 1866-1962 (Doctor; Anaesthetist) 1
- Cragg, W., fl. 1924-1931, Major, District Officer in Nigeria 1
- Drummond, George, 1687-1766, Lord Provost of Edinburgh 1
- East Harlem Protestant Parish (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Iona Community 1
- Kenrick, Bruce, 1920-2006 (clergyman | founder of Shelter) 1
- Kerrich, Margaret A. 1
- MacDonald, Harry Lindsay Somerled, 1861-1936 (cricketer) 1
- MacDonald, William Donald, 1827-1862 (lieutenant-colonel 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot) 1
- Macpherson, James (Principal Clerk to William Henry Playfair (1817)) 1
- Marshall, Helena, fl 1870s (Edinburgh University student, governess in Russia and Switzerland) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Merchant Taylor's School 1
- Playfair, John, 1748-1819 (scientist, mathematician, and professor of natural philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Playfair, William Henry, 1790-1857 (architect) 1
- Rhodes, Cecil John, 1853-1902, Imperialist and Benefactor 1
- Royal Medical Society (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Rutherford, Harriet, fl 1780s-1800s (wife of Daniel Rutherford, professor of botany at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Seaforth Highlanders (1881-1961) (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1
- Smith, John Shaw, 1811-1873 (Irish traveller, Photographer) 1
- Strang, Duncan William Park, b 1887 (minister) 1
- Strang, James Buchanan, 1889-1916 (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Tait, John (Temporary Clerk to William Henry Playfair (1817)) 1
- Thorne, Isabel Jane, 1834-1910 (campaigner for medical education for women) 1
- Warren, Reginald Augustus, 1820-1911 (English landowner) 1
- Wright, Hedley Duncan, 1891-1942, Professor of Bacteriology 1 ∧ less