Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Scope and Contents This 12pp manuscript (in contemporary marbled wrappers) of a copy of Bower's escape appears to date from after 1763, and could have been the work of a young person copying out the text as an advanced form of exercise. It does not include a final short paragraph found in other copies of this manuscript, but it is the only one containing verses at the end of the document. Written on the inside front wrapper is the name: F. or T. Coole, or Hoole. The manuscript is headed: 'A BRIEF...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents 1. King's College and University, Aberdeen. Award of the degree of Doctor of Divinity to W.R. 3 July 1764. Signed by the following professors: John Chalmers, John Lumsden, John Gregory, Alexander Burnet, Thomas Gordon, Thomas Reid, John Leslie, George Gordon. Vellum, approx. 60 cms x 68 cms, with small wax seal in metal box attached. 2. Edinburgh, Town Council. Commission of W.R. as Principal of the University of Edinburgh. 11 November 1762. Signed by George Drummond,...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of 83 separate original drawings and watercolour sketches of Edinburgh used in hisMemorials of Edinburgh in the olden timepublished in 1848. The illustrations include buildings and streets in Edinburgh's old town as well as in the port of Leith, for example: the Council House of Mary of Lorraine when Queen Regent, Coal Hill, Leith; Roofs of houses, Grassmarket; John Knox's House; the Sanctuary, St. Anne's Yard, Holyrood; St. Giles'; a plan of old Edinburgh; and, many...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: lecture notes and notes of reading on British, European, and Roman history.
Scope and Contents The body of the letter is probably in the hand of a secretary, although the signature itself is thought to be that of Adam Ferguson. The letter dated 16 November 1815, St. Andrews, was written only 3-months or so before his death. The letter is to 'Dear Sir' and bears the address, James Chalmer Esq.r. / Abingdon Street / Westminster / London The letter refers to how on 'the other leaf of this paper' there is 'the original of a letter' which will explain itself. 'How a claim of mine...
Scope and Contents 4 notebook volumes containing manuscript notes, being: Minute notebook. Historical Association of Scotland. Edinburgh and South East of Scotland Branch. 1911-1920 Minute notebook. Historical Association of Scotland. Edinburgh Branch. Session 1920-1921 to Annual meeting 1937 Statements of accounts. Historical Association of Scotland. Edinburgh and South East of Scotland Branch....
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The papers consist of original sketches, mainly by Ormerod, of landscapes and buildings in Great Britain done during the first half of the 19th century.
Scope and Contents Offprints of articles by Lodge on the subject of history, as well as articles given to him by others, 1889-1933, also letters
Scope and Contents The Papers of Professor Horn are a boxed, unnumbered, uncatalogued collection of papers, drafts, notes, and miscellaneous items. The most significant material relates to the proposed 'long history' of the University. Also included are background materials (drafts, notes, bibliographies, offprints, etc.) relating to Horn's publications on 18th century British diplomatic history:The British diplomatic service, 1689-1789(1961);Great Britain and Europe in the eighteenth century(1967). There are...
Scope and Contents The papers of Professor Gordon Donaldson within Gen. 1627-1645 consist of general and individual correspondence and correspondence with institutions and publishers. There is material and notes on churches, about crofters, emigration, genealogy, and the Northern Isles. There are lectures and notes; personal and family papers; photographs; and, press cuttings. There is manuscript material, typescript material, and proofs. These all cover the period 1935-1993. The collection also...
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Blair, Hugh, 1718-1800 (Church of Scotland Minister, Professor of Rhetoric) 1
- Borland, Catherine Robina, d 1946 (manuscript historian) 1
- Bower, Archibald, 1686-1766 (historian) 1
- Bruce, John, 1745-1826, Historian 1
- Chalmer, James, fl. 1815 (solicitor) 1
- Coutts & Co. 1
- Donaldson, Gordon, 1913-1993 1
- Ferguson, Adam, 1723-1816 (historian, philosopher) 1
- Hannay, Robert Kerr, Professor, 1867-1940 (historian, palaeographer) 1
- Heatley, D. P., fl.1924 (president of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch, Historical Association of Scotland) 1
- Historical Association of Scotland (Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch) 1
- Horn, David Bayne, 1901-1969 1
- Laing, David, 1793-1878 (antiquarian, bookseller, and librarian of the Signet Library) 1
- Laing, William, 1764-1832 (bookseller) 1
- Lodge, Richard, Professor Sir, 1855-1936 (historian) 1
- Lodge, Richard, Sir (Historian) 1
- MacEwen, Alexander Robertson, 1851-1916 (ecclesiastical historian) 1
- Ormerod, George, 1785-1873 (Antiquary) 1
- Prothero, George Walter, 1848-1922, Sir (Knight Historian) 1
- Robertson, William, 1721-1793 (historian, principal of the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Ross, W. C. A., fl. 1929-33 (president of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch of the Historical Association of Scotland) 1
- Williams, Arthur Frederic Basil, Professor, 1867-1950 (historian) 1
- Wilson, Daniel, Sir, 1816-1892 1 ∧ less