Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Fonds — Volume: Dk.7.29
Scope and Contents Volume entitled Buchananus De Sphaera: George Buchanan, with commentary by Adam King, covering key aspects of mathematical, natural philosophical, and astronomical knowledge from antiquity to the early modern period, from the Christian West and the Islamicate and pre-Islamic East, and from Copernicus to Galileo and Kepler. Bound with this is a second manuscript containing poetry by King.
Fonds — Volume: Dc.6.12
Scope and Contents Volume consists of teaching material originally produced by David Gregory, here transcribed with numerous drawings by Francis Pringle in Oxford in 1694-1695 and George Wood in St Andrews 1705. The volume's index is in Gregory's hand. The lectures, all by Gregory, are the Institutiones Astronomiae, the Oxford address on professional education he called De Ratione Studii Mathematici Consilium, the Lectiones Opticae, Trigonometria Planorum Angulorum, Geometria Practica, Geometriae de Motu, and the...
- Geometry 1
- Optics 1
- Physics 1
- Poetry 1
- Buchanan, George, 1506-1582 (Scottish expatriate, historian and scholar, anti-absolutist and satyrist of clerical vice) 1
- Gregory, David, 1659-1708 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh, and Savilian Professor of Astronomy, University of Oxford) 1
- Gregory, James, 1638-1675 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh) 1
- King, Adam, c1560-c1625 (Scottish polymath) 1
- King, William, fl17th century (Regent, University of Edinburgh) 1