Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Collection of 65 Scottish charters and other documents, from 1402 to 1699, in Latin and Scots, some with seals
Scope and Contents The collection of 65 Scottish charters and documents, on vellum and paper, is composed of the following: Charter between Alexander, Abbot of Scone, entirely in Early Scots, on vellum, dated 21 August 1402, 270mm. by 160mm., with the suspended complete wax seal of Katherine Paxton. Charter of Robert Logy, burgess of Perth, to Andrew Charters, of lands in Perth, in Latin, on vellum, dated 4 June...
Scope and Contents The facsimile charters are loose and are numbered at rear from 1 to 288. A few are missing, and these are, nos: 37, 50, 89, 110-111, 136-137, 151, 211, and 233.
Scope and Contents The John Maitland Thomson Collection includes circa 90 full plates of Scottish Charters granted to towns, regiments, and individuals between the 12th century and the 18th century. There are also unnumbered Coldstream charters and various Inchaffray Kinnoull Dupplin charters and seals with signatures of Lord Oliphant.
Fonds — Box: EUA GD4; EUA CA10
Identifier: EUA GD4
Scope and Contents The document is not strictly a charter of foundation. It confirmed and extended a previous charter signed by James's mother, Mary, Queen of Scots, on 13 March 1567, which had granted the Town of Edinburgh all the lands, buildings, and revenues formerly belonging to the monastic orders abolished during the Scottish Reformation of 1560. These were to be used for the support of the city's clergy and the poor. King James's charter ratified Mary's gift but also authorised the Town Council to spend...
- Subject: Charters X
- Charters 3
- Latin Language 2
- Legal Documents 2
- Scots language 2
- Archives | Scotland | 1
- Charters | Collections | 1
- History, 15th century (Scotland) 1
- History, 17th Century (Scotland) 1
- Photography | Negatives | 1
- Scotland -- History 1 ∧ less
- English 3
- Latin 1
- Fraser, William, Sir, 1816-1898 (solicitor, historian, palaeographer, and genealogist) 1
- James I and VI, 1566-1625 (King of England, Scotland and Ireland) 1
- Thomson, John Maitland, d 1923 (Deputy Keeper of the Records, Scottish Records Office) 1
- Town Council, Edinburgh 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1