Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents This is the manuscript diary of James nicol (1810-1879), an Edinburgh University student in medicine and natural history, who would later become a geologist and Professor of Natural history at the University of Aberdeen. The journal was written between the 10th of October 1840, to the 21st of March 1841, when he attended the Winter Session at Berlin University. Enclosed in the volume are typed notes, giving a rather detailed index of the diary's contents. In his journal, James Nicol describes...
Dates: 10 October 1840-21 March 1841
Scope and Contents Diary of Harriet Rutherford, nee Mitchelson, wife of Daniel Rutherford (professor of botany at the University of Edinburgh), covering starting on the 17 May 1802 and ending on the 7 December 1808.
Dates: 17 May 1802-7 December 1808
Scope and Contents Diary of Helena Marshall when she was a student at the 'College of Arts', Edinburgh (NB - not Edinburgh College of Arts, which was founded in 1907, but probably the Faculty of Arts of the University of Edinburgh) and (later) a governess in Russia (Petersburg) and Switzerland. Also journal consisting mainly of notes from lectures at the College of Arts on botany, geology, zoology, electricity, Italian art, etc., 1869.
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Dates: 1817-1867; c 1910-1962
Scope and Contents Sketchbooks and papers relating to the Harman family and their travel around Europe, including Ireland and Italy.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1624
Content Description This fonds is composed of The Seaforth Highlanders’ diary, which is in fact a collection of typescripts and manuscripts by Duncan W. P. Strang written during the First World War. They mainly contain a typescript draft of an unifinished book on the Seaforth Highlanders during the war, as well as abstracts of diaries and accounts of battles and tactical operations, and reflection on war and military strategy.The first text is the most structured and the most...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1593
Content Description Extensive archive of letters, together forming a journal of seven years’ work for the Church Missionary Society in China. Addressed to ‘dear Friends’ of her church in Bermondsey, Hitchcock’s letters provide a detailed account of her journey to China and her mission there. Though evidently travelling frequently throughout south-east China, Hitchcock was stationed primarily on Haitan (Pingtan) island with Eleanor Jane Harrison, recording efforts to teach the Gospel to the local population and her...
- Family papers 2
- Travel writing 2
- Aisne, Battle of the, France, 1914 1
- Germany -- Berlin 1
- Golf 1
- Lectures and Lecturing 1
- Marne, 1st Battle of the, France, 1914 1
- Medical students 1
- Military Operations 1
- Missionaries 1
- Missions (China) 1
- Pingtan Xian (China) 1
- Russia -- Saint Petersburg 1
- Sketchbooks & albums 1
- Somme, 1st Battle of the, France, 1916 1
- Student lecture notes 1
- Switzerland 1
- Trench Warfare 1
- Voyages and Travel 1
- Watercolor painting 1
- Women missionaries 1
- Women students 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- Ypres, Belgium 1 ∧ less
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- British Medical Association 1
- Harman, Nathaniel Bishop-, fl 1890-1935 (physician) 1
- Harrison, Eleanor Jane, 1872-1930 (Missionary in China) 1
- Hitchcock, Maud, b 1882 (née Sinclair | missionary in China) 1
- Marshall, Helena, fl 1870s (Edinburgh University student, governess in Russia and Switzerland) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Rutherford, Harriet, fl 1780s-1800s (wife of Daniel Rutherford, professor of botany at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Seaforth Highlanders (1881-1961) (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1
- Strang, Duncan William Park, b 1887 (minister) 1
- Strang, James Buchanan, 1889-1916 (Edinburgh University student) 1 ∧ less