Showing Collections: 11 - 17 of 17
Scope and Contents The papers contain: copies of letters of William Ewing of the Scottish Exploration Company to Alexander Low Bruce and to Cecil J. Rhodes; letters, telegraphs, banquet seating plan; a letter-book; diary of Bruce'sAmerican journey 1873; an album of newspaper cuttings; and, a memoriam volume.
Scope and Contents A tranche of material acquired in 2012 is composed of diaries and journals, notebooks, notes, talks and broadcast scripts, letters, newspaper clippings, more specifically: Box containing school reports, a copy of school newspaper, and letters: Merchant Taylors’ School (Crosby) Terminal Reports, Summer Term 1930 to Winter Term 1936; a copy of Merchant Taylors School newspaper, ‘Weekly Echo’, No.1. (ed....
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Scope and Contents Sketchbooks and papers relating to the Harman family and their travel around Europe, including Ireland and Italy.
Scope and Contents This manuscript diary begins on 18 February and ends 31 December 1848, though there is no extended entry for Sunday 31 December. The diary describes a variety of events, often rural, and including a visit to Scotland: 18 February, 'the hounds in Pasture woods did not find a fox till the afternoon'; 1 March, 'had a telegraph sight put to my rifle'; 7/8 March, 'mobs of young miscreants still doing damage to the shop windows - good for glaziers and no one else; 1 April, 'Chartists...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: a folder containing a typescript copy of a diary of a journey from Italy to the Holy Land, covering the period 18 December 1850 to 6 September 1852; two microfilms of diaries covering the period 1849 to 1850; and five boxes of photographs showing scenes of Ireland, Paris, Switzerland, Rome, Pompei, Athens, Istanbul, Jerusalem, Cairo, Thebes, Abu Simbel, Nubia, Petra, and more.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1624
Content Description This fonds is composed of The Seaforth Highlanders’ diary, which is in fact a collection of typescripts and manuscripts by Duncan W. P. Strang written during the First World War. They mainly contain a typescript draft of an unifinished book on the Seaforth Highlanders during the war, as well as abstracts of diaries and accounts of battles and tactical operations, and reflection on war and military strategy.The first text is the most structured and the most...
- Subject: Diaries X
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- British Medical Association 1
- Bruce, Alexander Low, fl 1873-1891, son in law of David Livingstone 1
- Carruthers, Dr., Samuel William, 1866-1962 (Doctor; Anaesthetist) 1
- Cragg, W., fl. 1924-1931, Major, District Officer in Nigeria 1
- Drummond, George, 1687-1766, Lord Provost of Edinburgh 1
- East Harlem Protestant Parish (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Harman, Nathaniel Bishop-, fl 1890-1935 (physician) 1
- Iona Community 1
- Kenrick, Bruce, 1920-2006 (clergyman | founder of Shelter) 1
- Kerrich, Margaret A. 1
- MacDonald, Harry Lindsay Somerled, 1861-1936 (cricketer) 1
- MacDonald, William Donald, 1827-1862 (lieutenant-colonel 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot) 1
- Macpherson, James (Principal Clerk to William Henry Playfair (1817)) 1
- Marshall, Helena, fl 1870s (Edinburgh University student, governess in Russia and Switzerland) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Merchant Taylor's School 1
- Playfair, John, 1748-1819 (scientist, mathematician, and professor of natural philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Playfair, William Henry, 1790-1857 (architect) 1
- Rhodes, Cecil John, 1853-1902, Imperialist and Benefactor 1
- Royal Medical Society (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Rutherford, Harriet, fl 1780s-1800s (wife of Daniel Rutherford, professor of botany at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Seaforth Highlanders (1881-1961) (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 1
- Smith, John Shaw, 1811-1873 (Irish traveller, Photographer) 1
- Strang, Duncan William Park, b 1887 (minister) 1
- Strang, James Buchanan, 1889-1916 (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Tait, John (Temporary Clerk to William Henry Playfair (1817)) 1
- Thorne, Isabel Jane, 1834-1910 (campaigner for medical education for women) 1
- Warren, Reginald Augustus, 1820-1911 (English landowner) 1
- Wright, Hedley Duncan, 1891-1942, Professor of Bacteriology 1 ∧ less