Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Item — Box: CLX-A-1595
Content Description This is an album used as a sketchbook and a common-place book from the mid-19th century to the 1930s, created and compiled by two Scottish women of the same family. The first contributor is Caroline Elizabeth Houstoun (1840-1926), who filled the volume with well-spaced studies of landscapes and buildings in coloured pencil, pastel, and some watercolour. Some noteworthy sites include Inverness from the Castle, Edinburgh Castle, Euston Station in London, and Saint-Germain in Paris. The identity...
Scope and Contents Much of this notebook contains a part-copy of the transcript of the trial as it was published in Edinburgh, 1818, in - Criminal Trials Illustrative Of The Tale Entitled The Heart Of Mid-Lothian: Published From The Original Record . Also in the notebook are some law notes on Cox v. Coleridge and the Rights of Allornies (or Attornies?); Rex v. Inhabitants of Middlesex; and, the Assizes at Lewes. There are also notes from Lacon, or Many...
- City of London (England) 1
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 1
- Edinburgh Castle (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- History, 17th Century (Scotland) 1
- Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland 1
- English 1
- English 1
- Gemmell, Alice Caroline Anne, 1879-1951 (daughter of Caroline Elizabeth Houstoun) 1
- Houstoun, Caroline Elizabeth , 1840-1926 (granddaughter of General Sir Robert Houstoun KCB) 1