Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Scope and Contents The correspondence is that between a number of persons and Thiselton on his Shakespearean publications. The correspondents, of some 40 in number, include W. Salt Brassington, F. J. Furnivall, and Israel Gollancz.
Dates: [circa 1895]-1916
Scope and Contents The material in the collection spans a period of 22 years from 1974 to 1996, and consists of several dozens of pages. The content tells of George Mackay Brown's annual cycle and his daily life, and particularly of visits of muses and other friends, as well as referring to publishing and contract matters. Included among the many individuals mentioned or referred to in the letters are: Ernest Marwick, Edwin Muir, Andrew Motion, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Hermann Palsson, Simon Fraser, Esther...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of letters and postcards to close friends John Freeman and John Arlott, as well as analyses of religious questions in poetry. There are circa 20 autograph letters and 10 signed letters to Freeman, 1922-1927, and circa 100 autograph letters to Arlott from the 1940s to the 1970s. The collection also includes BBC typescript broadcasts on The search for flowers, Some rare flowers of the west, ...
Scope and Contents The correspondence consists of autographed letters from Koteliansky to Sir Sidney Philip Waterlow referring to much in the literature of the period including reference to D. H. Lawrence, H. G. Wells, Evelyn Waugh, and Aldous Huxley.
Five signed letters from Bonamy Dobrée to Sir Herbert Grierson relating to a planned Oxford History of English Literature
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-373
Scope and Contents Three autograph and two typed letters signed, nine pages in total, written in Leeds from 25 December 1937 to 14 May 1939. Sent from Bonamy Dobrée to Sir Herbert Grierson, suggesting a commission for a collaboration with Edmund Blunden to produce a volume on the late 18th century for a planned Oxford History of English Literature and subsequently discussing aspects of its progress.
Dates: 25 December 1937-14 May 1939
Scope and Contents The oldest material in MSS 2851-2875 is dated 1986, and includes essays; drafts of, and corrections to The contenders, The take-over bid, and The smaller sky; revised text, and corrected typescript of The young visitors; publisher's copy of, and notebooks relating to A winter in the hills; revision to, and radio adaptation of ...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of Lecture notes on English Literature and Divinity taken down during 1955-1956, with the English Literature notes including: - Dr. Johnson - Critical Theory, given by A. M. Clarke - The seventeenth century, also given by A. M. Clarke There are also Supplementary notes on: Wordsworth; Shelley; Matthew Arnold; and,...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-352
Scope and Contents This collection includes a total of 23 Walter De la Mare letters dating from 1926 to 1953 including: 14 letters to Mrs. Verity (7 autograph letters signed and 7 typed letters signed); 3 autograph letters signed to Marie Lamigeon; 6 typed letters signed to various other people. More perspective on Walter De la Mare's thinking can be understood regarding this important and accomplished English poet and novelist.
Scope and Contents The Maurice Lindsay Papers contain poetry notebooks; drafts, manuscripts and typescripts; radio scripts; incoming correspondence and some carbon replies; articles by Lindsay; C.M. Grieve manuscripts; and, outgoing correspondence. Within the Maurice Lindsay Papers are up to three boxes containing private and personal letters (dated 1943-46) between Lindsay and his future wife and which are not available for general study until after the deaths of the writer and recipient without their express...
Scope and Contents The ms of Love, Freedom and Society spans 345pp, in closely written handwriting, covering the entire text of the work. As well as sections on D. H. Lawrence and Albert Schweitzer, the ms also includes a set of politically based conclusions entitled 'A political epilogue' which was omitted from the final publication. These conclusions were replaced with the chapter 'Christianity and tragedy' which is also present in the ms. Letter of provenance is...
- Subject: English literature | 20th century X
- Scottish literature | 20th century 4
- Correspondence 3
- English literature | Criticism, Textual | 2
- Poetry 2
- Poets 2
- Art, Byzantine | 1
- Art, Islamic | 1
- Art, Medieval 1
- Arts 1
- Authors 1
- Biography 1
- Broadcasters 1
- French literature 1
- Gays' writings | 1
- Lectures and Lecturing 1
- Literature 1
- Orkney Scotland 1
- Radio Broadcasting 1
- Stromness (Scotland) 1
- Students 1
- Typescripts 1 ∧ less
- English 9
- English 7
- Multiple languages 1
- Murry, John Middleton, 1889-1957 (writer, reviewer) 2
- Blunden, Edmund Charles, 1896-1974 (English poet, author and critic) 1
- Brown, George Mackay, 1921-1996 (writer and poet) 1
- Brunner, Hugo, b. 1935 (publisher) 1
- Butt, John, 1906-1965 1
- Dobrée, Bonamy, 1891-1974 (Professor of English Literature, University of Leeds) 1
- Durcan, Paul, b. 1944, Literary critic 1
- Green, Martin, fl. 1969-1970, Literary critic 1
- Grierson, Herbert John Clifford, 1866-1960 (literary critic and professor of English Literature) 1
- Koteliansky, Samuel Solomonovich, 1880-1955, Translator 1
- Lawrence, David Herbert, 1885-1930 (poet novelist and essayist) 1
- Lawrence, David Herbert, Poet Novelist and Essayist (1885-1930) 1
- Lindsay, John Maurice, 1918-2009 (Scottish poet) 1
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 (Scottish poet) 1
- Mansfield, Katherine, 1888-1923 1
- Mare, Walter de la, 1873-1956 (poet and writer) 1
- Nye, Robert, 1939-2016 (poet, writer, critic) 1
- Renwick, William Lindsay, 1889-1970 (professor) 1
- Rice, David Talbot, 1903-1972 (art historian) 1
- Saintsbury, George Edward Bateman, 1845-1933 (literary critic and historian) 1
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 (playwright) 1
- Spenser, Edmund, 1552-1599 1
- Stam, Dr., David H., b. 1935 (University Librarian Emeritus) 1
- Thiselton, Alfred Edward, 1857-1904, Writer on Shakespeare 1
- Two Rivers (Literary Journal) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Urquhart, Frederick Burrows, 1912-1995 1
- Wain, John Barrington, CBE, 1925-1994 (English poet) 1
- Waterlow, Sydney Philip, 1878-1944, Sir (Knight Diplomat) 1
- Young, Andrew John, 1885-1971 (Canon of Chichester Cathedral, Poet) 1 ∧ less