Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Collection of pamphlets on the Earldom of Mar
Scope and Contents Scrapbook entitled 'A Collection of pamphlets etc. on the Earldom of Mar' containing pamphlets, letters, reports, transcripts, and newspaper cuttings related to the controversy regarding the Earl of Mar title that took place during the years 1875-1885, opposing Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of Kellie, and John Francis Goodeve-Erskine, Earl of Mar. The texts collected in this scrapbook clearly defend the latter.The dispute spanned over 10 years, and was between Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of...
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Laurie and Hamilton Bruce family history
Scope and Contents This spiral bound hard-backed volume has 86pp, numbered, with some pasted in illustrations. It is entitled A family patchwork by a Scottish cousin and was written by C. A. Hamilton Bruce. It was privately printed and was produced by Diane E. Thompson, Typing and Duplicating Service, 16 Brandon Terrace, Edinburgh. Chapter headings include: 'The Hamilton Bruces', 'The Lauries', 'Nairne Lodge Days', 'Dornoch Days', 'Patchwork section', and 'Grangehill Days'....
Papers of Frederick Couper and family
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-372
Scope and Contents Correspondence Frederick Couper's testimonials Notes and documents relating to genealogy and family history Legal documents Photographs of Frederick Couper Bookkeeping notebook A substantial archive of original manuscript correspondence, documents, photographs and printed material relating to the...
Papers of the Anderson, Urquhart and Graham Families
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries, legal documents, inventories, student notes, sermons, and business accounts relating to the members of the Anderson, Urquhart, and Graham families (all related). The material covers the 18th and 19th centuries and relates to subjects as varied as ironmongery, sea travel, study of humanities in the 1820s, preaching and sermons, school teaching, etc. This collection provides an excellent insight into the daily life in Edinburgh in the late 1700s and in the 1800s.
Papers of The Very Rev Prof James Whyte (1920-2005)
Scope and Contents Sermons and addresses, 1948-1996; lectures, 1949-1982; class notes and lecture notes, 1949-1982; correspondence, 1988-1989 and 1964-1970; newspaper cuttings, 1988-1989 and 1964-1969; publications and articles, 1902-1970; church magazines, 1929-1993; conference papers, 1978; moderatorial papers, 1988-1989; University Christian Consultative Group papers, 1970-1972; Church of Scotland and the Congregational Union of Scotland papers, 1959-1967; personal papers, 1848-1983; photographs 1911 and...
Found in: New College Library Special Collections
Scottish tradition of the House of Napier
Scope and Contents The volume is dated 1902 and entitled on the front board: 'A Scottish tradition of the House of Napier / Hon'ble Mrs. James Napier. On a facing page to the inside of the front-board it states: 'This Legend of Her Name was illustrated for The Bride / The Artist employed / was Mr. J. Jenks[?] / Schoolmaster / Kilmore [?] / by Oban. The volume contains a tale about the origin of the name 'Napier' and features a fine water-colour of two knights in 'Arts and Crafts' or 'Art Nouveau' style and...
- Subject: Family History X
- University of Edinburgh Library Heritage Collections 6
- New College Library Special Collections 1
- Family papers 4
- Genealogy 2
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 2
- History, 19th century (Scotland) 2
- Dunollie Kilmore and Kilbride (parish) Argyllshire Scotland 1
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 1
- George Thompson, sailing ship 1
- Legal documents | Scotland | 1
- Leith (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Names, Personal 1
- Peerage claims 1
- Peers 1
- Presbyterianism 1
- Scotland -- Wishaw 1
- Scotland | History | 17th century 1
- Sermons 1
- Theology 1 ∧ less
- English 4
- English 2
- Multiple languages 1
- Anderson (Edinburgh) 1
- Couper, Frederick, fl 1870s-1920s (Scottish marine engineer) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Graham (Edinburgh) 1
- Hamilton Bruce, C. A., fl. 1920-1960 1
- Jenks ?, J., fl. 1902 (schoolmaster at Kilmore by Oban) 1
- Steuart, Baronets (of Coltness) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1608-1681 (Lord Provost of Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1635-1713 (Lord Advocate of Scotland) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1681-1727 (Solicitor-General of Scotland) 1
- Urquhart (Perth) 1 ∧ less