Showing Collections: 11 - 15 of 15
Scope and Contents The Papers of Professor Horn are a boxed, unnumbered, uncatalogued collection of papers, drafts, notes, and miscellaneous items. The most significant material relates to the proposed 'long history' of the University. Also included are background materials (drafts, notes, bibliographies, offprints, etc.) relating to Horn's publications on 18th century British diplomatic history:The British diplomatic service, 1689-1789(1961);Great Britain and Europe in the eighteenth century(1967). There are...
Scope and Contents The papers of Professor Gordon Donaldson within Gen. 1627-1645 consist of general and individual correspondence and correspondence with institutions and publishers. There is material and notes on churches, about crofters, emigration, genealogy, and the Northern Isles. There are lectures and notes; personal and family papers; photographs; and, press cuttings. There is manuscript material, typescript material, and proofs. These all cover the period 1935-1993. The collection also...
Scope and Contents The collection consists of volumes of lectures on moral philosophy, 1770, and a copy ofFirst principles of philosophy, for the use of students, 1781.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1192
Scope and Contents The collection of proofs is composed of the title page and duplicates of Plates I-XII of Borland's catalogue of the medieval manuscripts of Edinburgh University Library (catalogue available online (external link)).There is also a covering letter from D. Campbell (T. and A. Constable; University Press) dated and placed at Edinburgh 30 October 1915, to Miss C. R. Borland, 149 Warrender Park...
Scope and Contents After the death of David Laing, his private library was sold in an auction occupying thirty-one days. His collection of charters and other papers is of national importance and the most distinguished of its kind in any Scottish university. It is an essential source for the 18th century, and a much used one for all periods of Scottish history from the earliest times. The Laing Collection falls into five sections, designated as La.I., La.II., La.III., La.IV., and La.V.
- Subject: Historians X
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 13
- Lothian Health Services Archive 2
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Blair, Hugh, 1718-1800 (Church of Scotland Minister, Professor of Rhetoric) 1
- Borland, Catherine Robina, d 1946 (manuscript historian) 1
- Bower, Archibald, 1686-1766 (historian) 1
- Bruce, John, 1745-1826, Historian 1
- Chalmer, James, fl. 1815 (solicitor) 1
- Coutts & Co. 1
- Donaldson, Gordon, 1913-1993 1
- Ferguson, Adam, 1723-1816 (historian, philosopher) 1
- Guthrie, Douglas James, 1885-1975 (surgeon and historian of medicine) 1
- Hannay, Robert Kerr, Professor, 1867-1940 (historian, palaeographer) 1
- Heatley, D. P., fl.1924 (president of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch, Historical Association of Scotland) 1
- Historical Association of Scotland (Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch) 1
- Horn, David Bayne, 1901-1969 1
- Laing, David, 1793-1878 (antiquarian, bookseller, and librarian of the Signet Library) 1
- Laing, William, 1764-1832 (bookseller) 1
- Lodge, Richard, Professor Sir, 1855-1936 (historian) 1
- Lodge, Richard, Sir (Historian) 1
- MacEwen, Alexander Robertson, 1851-1916 (ecclesiastical historian) 1
- Ormerod, George, 1785-1873 (Antiquary) 1
- Prothero, George Walter, 1848-1922, Sir (Knight Historian) 1
- Robertson, William, 1721-1793 (historian, principal of the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Ross, W. C. A., fl. 1929-33 (president of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland Branch of the Historical Association of Scotland) 1
- Williams, Arthur Frederic Basil, Professor, 1867-1950 (historian) 1
- Wilson, Daniel, Sir, 1816-1892 1 ∧ less