Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Collection of pamphlets on the Earldom of Mar
Scope and Contents Scrapbook entitled 'A Collection of pamphlets etc. on the Earldom of Mar' containing pamphlets, letters, reports, transcripts, and newspaper cuttings related to the controversy regarding the Earl of Mar title that took place during the years 1875-1885, opposing Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of Kellie, and John Francis Goodeve-Erskine, Earl of Mar. The texts collected in this scrapbook clearly defend the latter.The dispute spanned over 10 years, and was between Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of...
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Papers of Frederick Couper and family
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-372
Scope and Contents Correspondence Frederick Couper's testimonials Notes and documents relating to genealogy and family history Legal documents Photographs of Frederick Couper Bookkeeping notebook A substantial archive of original manuscript correspondence, documents, photographs and printed material relating to the...
Papers of the Anderson, Urquhart and Graham Families
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries, legal documents, inventories, student notes, sermons, and business accounts relating to the members of the Anderson, Urquhart, and Graham families (all related). The material covers the 18th and 19th centuries and relates to subjects as varied as ironmongery, sea travel, study of humanities in the 1820s, preaching and sermons, school teaching, etc. This collection provides an excellent insight into the daily life in Edinburgh in the late 1700s and in the 1800s.
Papers of the Christison Family
Content Description This fonds contains the papers of: Professor Alexander Christison FRSE (1751-1820), Professor of Humanity at the University of Edinburgh from 1806 to his death in 1820, father of Sir Robert Christison. Sir Robert Christison, 1st Baronet, FRSE FRCSE FRCPE (1797-1882), toxicologist and physician, father of Sir Alexander Christison (1828-1918). John Christison (1789-1862),...
Dates: 1785-1904; 1979
Papers of the Cochrane Family
Content Description Collection of six ornately decorated 18th-century manuscript documents relating to the Cochrane family of Scotland, including two marriage documents and four burgess tickets: Two documents relating to the marriage of William Cochrane and Agnes Carse, both dated 19 July 1706, Edinburgh: a marriage contract, listing over 400 points on which they pledged agreement, measuring 30 cm x 274 cm ; and a marriage...
- Family History 4
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 3
- History, 19th century (Scotland) 3
- Edinburgh -- Scotland 2
- Legal documents | Scotland | 2
- Family records | 1
- Genealogy 1
- Leith (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Marriage 1
- Peerage claims 1
- Peers 1
- Scotland -- Wishaw 1
- Scotland | History | 17th century 1
- guilds 1 ∧ less
- English 4
- English 1
- Multiple languages 1
- Anderson (Edinburgh) 1
- Carse, Agnes, fl 1706 (wife of William Cochrane, Edinburgh) 1
- Christison, Sir Robert, 1797-1882 (1st Baronet | Scottish toxicologist and physician) 1
- Cochrane, James, fl 1700-1799 (Edinburgh printer) 1
- Cochrane, William, d before 1718 (Edinburgh writer ) 1
- Couper, Frederick, fl 1870s-1920s (Scottish marine engineer) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Graham (Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Baronets (of Coltness) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1608-1681 (Lord Provost of Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1635-1713 (Lord Advocate of Scotland) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1681-1727 (Solicitor-General of Scotland) 1
- Urquhart (Perth) 1 ∧ less