Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Contents The manuscript volume of Oriya grammar and vocabulary has around 200pp. Some pages contain English translations with accompanying Oriya vocabulary. The translations are of tales and background to Orissa, while others are Biblical passages, and the Oriya vocabulary relates to these.
Scope and Contents 1 x Kaisar-i-Hind Gold Medal, George V - may be 1st variety, 1st class - together with 1 x example of the Miniature version of the Kaisar-i-Hind Gold Medal. Both are contained in a presentation case created by Garrard and Co. Ltd. of Albemarle St., London. Garrard was the Crown Jeweller charged with the upkeep of the British Crown Jewels, from 1843 to 2007.
Content Description The ms and ts/printed items are: 1 x copy ts sheet 'Islam in India' [1961 statistics], 1p 1 x ts paper, untitled, but concerned with 'talks about Islam', and referring to 'four fortnightly evening meetings, sponsored jointly by the Student Christian Movement and the Islamic Cultural Centre ... held at the Student Movement House in London' , 7pp 1 x copy sheet 'Christian/Muslim Conversations. Summary of the Results',...
Identifier: Or Ms
Scope and Contents The collection of over 700 oriental manuscripts includes some of the greatest treasures of Edinburgh University Library. The manuscripts are mainly Islamic, written in Arabic or Persian, but there are also Jewish Torah scolls, Buddhist texts on palm leaves and Hindu manuscripts.The Al-Bîrûnî, Rashid al-Din and Mahabharata manuscripts are the best-known items (Or Ms 161, Or Ms 20, Or Ms 510). Other treasures include a beautiful Koran (Or Ms 148) which belonged to Tipu-Sahib, Sultan of...
Scope and Contents The collection contains:
- 1 x degree certificate in the name of Andrew Crawford Hume
- 4 x degree/certificates in the name of Thomas Hume
- 1 tool-bound volume containingJail hygiene in India, published in Calcutta, 1881, andVaso-motor diseases in India, 1879, which was owned by A. Hume aboard 'HMS Marathon', Bombay, Sept. 1891
Scope and Contents Morton's experiences and impressions of Baroda are gathered together into this work entitledIndian assignment. Typescript.
Content Description A traditional, cloth-based scroll painting, illustrating the life of botanist William Roxburgh, created by Gurupada Chitrakar in 2010 in West Bengal. It is a water-based paint on paper, mounted on cotton. Created using paint made with vegetable dyes, these scrolls are made by sewing together individual panels of paper. Fabric, often from old saris, is glued to the back to strengthen the scroll.Painted scrolls such as this, known as patas, are used as visual...
Scope and Contents The Agra Correspondence of Sir William Muir consists of original manuscripts and typed transcripts relating to his career in the North-West Provinces of India, but in this case pertaining to 1857. The papers in the collection include letters to his wife from 1840 to 1895, letters of congratulations on the Muir's golden wedding, letters relating to the period 1813 to 1902, press cuttings, documents and theAnnual reports. Miss Taylor's orphanage for Moslem and Druse girls, Beyrout, and other...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The Percy Johnson-Marshall Collection consists of papers, plans, books, journals and photographs collected or created by him throughout the course of his career. These reflect both his employment situation, his involvement in professional organisations and educational bodies, his involvement in World Development issues and his general interest in architecture and planning. The collection contains material relating to: ...
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of seven Indian copper plate charters in Sanskrit recrding land grants, dating from the 5th to 16th centuries CE, and of three volumes containing rubbings of inscriptions from different regions of India, collected by Sir Walter Elliot throughout the 19th century.
- Abercrombie, Sir Patrick, 1879-1957 (professor of town planning) 1
- Association of Building Technicians (1942-1970) 1
- Baillie, John B, fl 1876 (donor of the Oriental Manuscripts Collection) 1
- Baillie, John, of Leys, 1772-1833 (Professor of Arabic and Persian, Fort William College) 1
- Chitrakar, Gurupada, fl 2010 (artist) 1
- Commonwealth Human Ecology Council 1
- Congres Internationaux d'Architecture Moderne. Mars Group 1
- Coventry City Council, Coventry City Architect 's Department. Coventry City Architect's Department 1
- Cragg, Albert Kenneth, 1913-2012 (Assistant Bishop of Jerusalem) 1
- Elliot, Sir Walter, 1803-1887 (curator and archaeologist) 1
- Garrard & Co. Ltd., Albemarle St., London 1
- Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, 1908-1991 (architect and town planner) 1
- HM Government. Ministry of Town and Country Planning 1
- Housing Centre Trust 1
- Howarth, Toby Matthew, Bishop (Church of England) 1
- Hume, Andrew Crawford, d. 1970 (Veterinary Surgeon) 1
- Hume, Thomas, (1852-1890) (Surgeon) 1
- International Centre for Regional Planning and Development (1954-1960) 1
- International Society of City and Regional Planners (1965-:) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Percy, 1915-1993 (professor of urban design and regional planning, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Stirrat, 1912-1981 (architect) 1
- London County Council (1887-1965) 1
- Middlesex County Council (1888-1965) 1
- Modern Architectural Research Group 1
- Morton, Dr., Eric Veddon Bradshaw, fl. 1968 (Consultant) 1
- Muir, William, Sir, 1819-1905 (Scottish Orientalist) 1
- Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates (1962-:) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Reilly | Sir | Charles Herbert, 1874-1948 (professor of architecture) 1
- Roxburgh, William, 1751-1815 (Botanist) 1
- Royal Institute of British Architects (1837-:) 1
- Royal Town Planning Institute (1914-:) 1
- School of Planning and Research for Regional Development (1940-1953) 1
- Service Arts and Technical Organization (1943-1946) 1
- Society for the Promotion of Urban Renewal (fl1950s) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- Tatton-Brown, William, fl1910-1986 (architect) 1
- United Nations (1945-: |) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture, Planning Research Unit. Department of Architecture 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture. Department of Architecture (1960-:) 1
- University of Liverpool (1881-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Department of Civic Design. Department of Civic Design (1909-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Liverpool School of Architecture. Liverpool School of Architecture (1895-:) 1
- Willesden Borough Council 1 ∧ less