Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 23
Identifier: Or Ms
Scope and Contents The collection of over 700 oriental manuscripts includes some of the greatest treasures of Edinburgh University Library. The manuscripts are mainly Islamic, written in Arabic or Persian, but there are also Jewish Torah scolls, Buddhist texts on palm leaves and Hindu manuscripts.The Al-Bîrûnî, Rashid al-Din and Mahabharata manuscripts are the best-known items (Or Ms 161, Or Ms 20, Or Ms 510). Other treasures include a beautiful Koran (Or Ms 148) which belonged to Tipu-Sahib, Sultan of...
Scope and Contents The collection contains:
- 1 x degree certificate in the name of Andrew Crawford Hume
- 4 x degree/certificates in the name of Thomas Hume
- 1 tool-bound volume containingJail hygiene in India, published in Calcutta, 1881, andVaso-motor diseases in India, 1879, which was owned by A. Hume aboard 'HMS Marathon', Bombay, Sept. 1891
Identifier: CSWC 48
Scope and Contents The collection consists of reports, articles, press cuttings, pamphlets and other papers collected by Forrester relating to India and in particular to Indian politics and religion. Some of the material includes correspondence or drafts of papers to be published by Forrester. The material dates from 1950s-1970s, mainly from the 1960s and early-mid 1970s. Topics covered include: general elections; India emergency (1975); political parties; central government, administration and constitution;...
Identifier: CSWC 25
Scope and Contents The collection consists of papers, reports and other material relating to the arrest of Forrester Paton in 1932; pamphlets, articles and printed items about Forrester Paton, Jesudason and the Ashram (1920s-1980s); letters to Forrester Paton's family before and after his death (1969-1992); and photographs of Forrester Paton, Jesudason and the Ashram (from c 1915).
Identifier: CSWC 5
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: correspondence, mainly letters from Kerr and others at the leprosy hospital to Joseph Ross and his wife giving information about their work in India (c 1927-1944); autobiographical notes on Kerr's childhood, decision to become a missionary and early years in India; pamphlets and printed items, referring to the hospital and medical work and with obituaries of Isabel Kerr (1911-1956); and photographs of the Kerr family and Dichpali (3 items, c 1920s).
Identifier: CSWC 31
Scope and Contents The collection consists of several files relating to the United Church of Northern India and Kellock's involvement in the extension and promotion of church union including committee papers and reports, correspondence, published articles and journals, material relating to Kellock's Break Through for Church Union, and material on the debate over Anglican and Presbyterian union in Scotland.
Identifier: CSWC 43
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: draft manuscripts of King and Teacher, A Practical Guide to the Reading of the Bible, The Lord's Prayer, The Lord's Supper and The Benediction; other articles, addresses and broadcasts by Macphail; and issues of ...
Scope and Contents Morton's experiences and impressions of Baroda are gathered together into this work entitledIndian assignment. Typescript.
Content Description A traditional, cloth-based scroll painting, illustrating the life of botanist William Roxburgh, created by Gurupada Chitrakar in 2010 in West Bengal. It is a water-based paint on paper, mounted on cotton. Created using paint made with vegetable dyes, these scrolls are made by sewing together individual panels of paper. Fabric, often from old saris, is glued to the back to strengthen the scroll.Painted scrolls such as this, known as patas, are used as visual...
Scope and Contents The Agra Correspondence of Sir William Muir consists of original manuscripts and typed transcripts relating to his career in the North-West Provinces of India, but in this case pertaining to 1857. The papers in the collection include letters to his wife from 1840 to 1895, letters of congratulations on the Muir's golden wedding, letters relating to the period 1813 to 1902, press cuttings, documents and theAnnual reports. Miss Taylor's orphanage for Moslem and Druse girls, Beyrout, and other...
- Subject: India X
- New College Library Special Collections 12
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 11
- Abercrombie, Sir Patrick, 1879-1957 (professor of town planning) 1
- Association of Building Technicians (1942-1970) 1
- Baillie, John B, fl 1876 (donor of the Oriental Manuscripts Collection) 1
- Baillie, John, of Leys, 1772-1833 (Professor of Arabic and Persian, Fort William College) 1
- Chitrakar, Gurupada, fl 2010 (artist) 1
- Church Missionary Society 1
- Commonwealth Human Ecology Council 1
- Congres Internationaux d'Architecture Moderne. Mars Group 1
- Coventry City Council, Coventry City Architect 's Department. Coventry City Architect's Department 1
- Cragg, Albert Kenneth, 1913-2012 (Assistant Bishop of Jerusalem) 1
- Elliot, Sir Walter, 1803-1887 (curator and archaeologist) 1
- Foreign Mission Committee the Church of Scotland 1
- Garrard & Co. Ltd., Albemarle St., London 1
- Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, 1908-1991 (architect and town planner) 1
- HM Government. Ministry of Town and Country Planning 1
- Housing Centre Trust 1
- Howarth, Toby Matthew, Bishop (Church of England) 1
- Hume, Andrew Crawford, d. 1970 (Veterinary Surgeon) 1
- Hume, Thomas, (1852-1890) (Surgeon) 1
- International Centre for Regional Planning and Development (1954-1960) 1
- International Society of City and Regional Planners (1965-:) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Percy, 1915-1993 (professor of urban design and regional planning, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Stirrat, 1912-1981 (architect) 1
- London County Council (1887-1965) 1
- Middlesex County Council (1888-1965) 1
- Modern Architectural Research Group 1
- Morton, Dr., Eric Veddon Bradshaw, fl. 1968 (Consultant) 1
- Muir, William, Sir, 1819-1905 (Scottish Orientalist) 1
- Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates (1962-:) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Reilly | Sir | Charles Herbert, 1874-1948 (professor of architecture) 1
- Roxburgh, William, 1751-1815 (Botanist) 1
- Royal Institute of British Architects (1837-:) 1
- Royal Town Planning Institute (1914-:) 1
- School of Planning and Research for Regional Development (1940-1953) 1
- Service Arts and Technical Organization (1943-1946) 1
- Society for the Promotion of Urban Renewal (fl1950s) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- Tatton-Brown, William, fl1910-1986 (architect) 1
- United Free Church of Scotland (1900-1929) 1
- United Nations (1945-: |) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture, Planning Research Unit. Department of Architecture 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture. Department of Architecture (1960-:) 1
- University of Liverpool (1881-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Department of Civic Design. Department of Civic Design (1909-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Liverpool School of Architecture. Liverpool School of Architecture (1895-:) 1
- Willesden Borough Council 1 ∧ less