Showing Collections: 11 - 20 of 23
Fonds — Volume: Dc.2.41
Scope and Contents Single volume, though one that has been part of a larger set, containing lectures given by Joseph Black, beginning 30 Oct 1782. The lectures are numbered 1 through to 59, with and indication that they were continued in a further volume (not present). The volume is paginated and bound between pages is a fold-out drawing, dated 1784, of a thermometer, marked with properties/states of various substances at specific temperatures.The author of the volume is unknown but was almost certainly one...
Fonds — Container: CLX-A-351
Scope and Contents Three volumes of notes on Dr. Joseph Black's lectures on chemistry. The full title is: 'Notes of Dr. Black's Philosophical Lectures on Chemistry, Corrected and enlarged by the joint labor of George Buchan Hepburn and Alexander Law, advocates'. Manuscript, in a neat and legible hand, of notes of Black's course of 57 lectures on chemistry delivered from 13th June to 22nd December 1775.
Scope and Contents Notes of lectures on 'Physiology for Ladies' given by Edward Henry Sieveking at Stamford Hill, taken by an unknown person in 1848.
Scope and Contents There is a substantial sequence of notebooks and working papers containing detailed notes of experiments and dissections together with drawings and drafts for lectures, and a separate sequence of manuscripts for lectures and addresses. There are many autograph letters from eminent anatomists and medical men, including ten letters from Joseph Lister. An item of particular interest is an album of 96 photographs from Cunningham's service on the South African War Royal Commission. The subjects...
Scope and Contents This is a collection of autograph manuscripts of Allan Maconochie (Lord Meadowbank). The manuscripts (1780s) consist largely of lectures and notes and many of the notes are incomplete or unfinished as it was the practice of Maconochie to finish in mid-sentence. The collection is composed of lecture/meeting notes on economics, law, government and society etc., and include those on: - the importance of...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of the following:in Box 1/9: - box containing Moderator's laces - offprints, being copies of: the Churches Conference, held at the Library Hall, New College, Edinburgh, and its 'Draft of Unity Act' 10 February 1927; Committee to Confer with the United Free Church of Scotland; Scottish Church Society and its 'Notes on the Basis and Plan of Union'; and, Principal...
Scope and Contents The papers of Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville reflect his academic, public, and private interests. There are many bundles of notes both in manuscript and typescript; notebooks; and, correspondence. There are Edinburgh University examination papers; Heriot-Watt Minutes from the 1960s; and, Edinburgh Corporation Education Committee Minutes from the 1960s. The papers also include census material; records of persons placed on probation; material relating to the Historical Association of...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents This collection consists of lecture courses, single lectures and notes (some revised and published later) delivered in the University of Edinburgh, or in its name elsewhere, by Professor Peter Jones FRSE, as Lecturer, Reader and Professor of Philosophy between 1964 and 1998, and as Emeritus Professor from 1998 onwards - including his unpublished Inaugural Lecture (1986) and Gifford Lectures (1995).Subjects of the lectures include, but are not limited to: Philosophy and Literature, Moral...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The Papers of Professor David Talbot Rice are mainly notes for Fine Art lectures in the 20th century.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents Papers of Professor Sir David Wallace containing undergraduate lecture notes, research material, contracts, presentations and notebooks from the Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre work; lectures and course material; off-prints; personal papers; and miscellaneous material.The material is arranged as follows:Undergraduate lecture notes and tutorials, Edinburgh University, 1963-1968: this section contains material related to Wallace's undergraduate studies...
- Subject: Lectures and Lecturing X
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 21
- Lothian Health Services Archive 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 7
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Black, Joseph, 1728-1799 (professor of chemistry, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Godfrey Thomson Unit for Educational Research 2
- Moray House College of Education (1959-1991) 2
- Balfour, Sir Isaac Bayley, 1853-1922 (professor of botany, University of Edinburgh and regius keeper of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh) 1
- Bogle, Very Reverend, Andrew Nisbet, 1868-1957 (Minister; Ex-Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland) 1
- Church of Scotland 1
- Cooke, Marian, fl. 1946-1970 (secretary, Moray House College of Education) 1
- Cunningham, Daniel John, 1850-1909 (professor of anatomy, Trinity College Dublin) 1
- Currie, Sir Alastair Robert, 1921-1994 (Professor of Pathology, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Heriot-Watt College (1885-1966) 1
- Hume, David, 1711-1776 (Scottish Philosopher) 1
- James I, 1394-1437 (King of Scotland) 1
- Jones, Peter Howard, fl 1964-1999 (Professor of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Leather, Russell A., Dr., b. 1924 (electrical engineer, former Chair of Gannochy Trust) 1
- Lister, Sir Joseph, 1827-1912 (1st Baron Lister | British surgeon and a pioneer of antiseptic surgery) 1
- Lonsdale, Henry, 1816-1876 (Edinburgh University alumnus; physician) 1
- MacMurray, John, 1891-1976 (chair of moral philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Maconochie, Lord Meadowbank, Allan, 1748-1816 (Scottish judge) 1
- Malloch, James, fl. 1878-1879 1
- Masson, David Mather, 1822-1907 (Regius Professor of Rhetoric and Belles Lettres, Edinburgh University) 1
- McFarland, Henry Stewart Noel, 1924-1973 (educationist) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Rice, David Talbot, 1903-1972 (art historian) 1
- Sieveking, Edward Henry, 1816-1904 (English physician) 1
- Sutherland, Robert, b. 1926 (Writer to the Signet, Notary Public) 1
- The Scottish History Society (1886-) 1
- Thomson, Godfrey Hilton, Sir, 1881-1955 (psychologist and Bell Professor of Education, University of Edinburgh) 1
- University of Edinburgh. Department of Pathology (1831-) 1
- Wallace, Sir David James, b 1945 (British physicist; former Master of Churchill College) 1 ∧ less