Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 31
Scope and Contents The common-place books are written in the same hand, largely, and are described as: 1 x common-place book, small 4to, with 174pp numbered, dating from 1817-1837, though a later style of handwriting on last unnumbered 4 pp feature the date 1849. Original lightly diced Russia, lacking spine. Manuscript medical receipts, prescriptions. Entries feature named Scottish doctors or Scottish periodicals. An extensive...
Scope and Contents An index at the beginning of this substantial volume of clinical case notes lists 28 women and 31 men with their symptoms and treatment recorded in manuscript notes over more than 600 pages. The manuscript offers much information on the methods of these two leading 18th century Scottish physicians.
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of effects that belonged to Henry Craven St John, a young Lieutenant (later Commander, then Admiral) who brilliantly fought against pirates in the Chinese Seas in the 1860s. It includes: a presentation scroll to Commander Henry Craven St John, conveying thanks for his fighting piracy at Laksui (1866); a covering letter from the Admiralty (1866); a mahogany and brass-fitted medicine box (1860s); and an album of c. 300 watercolours executed by Henry Craven St John,...
Scope and Contents The 5 x slips (fragments) were discovered by cataloguing staff inside earlier Edinburgh University theses. They are handwritten in ink. The fragments are: - a note of page references with some remarks relating to a medical text - a list of theses sent either by or to Prof. Christison, Edinburgh College, 26 July 1844 - with the names Vass, Anderson, Chepmell, Etherington, Fleming, Jones ...
Scope and Contents E2010.32 consists of typescript copies of the Diary of Dr. MacIntosh. Antarctica 1956-1957 and Dr. MacIntosh's Diary 1961-1962. South on 'Venturer'. Ashore at Leith Harbour. Home by 'Harvester''. There are also photocopies of the diaries. The diaries were discovered in 2007 through a bookshop by George R. Cummings - Chairman of the Salvesen's Ex-Whalers Club, and a whaler on the 'Southern Venturer', 1961-62, and mess-boy on...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of notes and news cuttings at Dc.2.76/17, a dissertation at Gen. 1931, and three manuscript diaries at E2008.14. The material at Dc.2.76/17 consists of a notebook (circa 17 pages) with notes accompanying several newspaper cuttings on various University activities. The front cover is noted 'Edinburgh University / Various Student Activities / 1887-1888'. It contains clippings relating to: the Rectorial Elections 1887 and 1888 and from theScottish Leader28...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-842
Scope and Contents The diary is 43pp. long (foolscap). It is a copy of typescript with corrections. It begins with her birth and family circumstances as she grew up, and includes her life as a governess, her marriage and journey to China, the birth of her children, the Taiping Rebellion, medical training in London and studies in Edinburgh, and her return to London. The diary ends in 1886-1887 and with brief description of personal celebrations around the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Scope and Contents The bound manuscript volume of Dr. Saunders's Clinical Lectures is dated 25 January 1784, and is noted with the names: Nicholas Willett Chavasse; C.H. Chavasse, June 1805; and Thomas Chavasse, 20 August 1817. Section headings contained in it include: Observations on a cutaneous infection; Observations on a case of chronic Rheumatism; Case of Thoracic inflammation; Observations on a case of Rheumatism; case of Rheumatic Gout; and, Observations on a case of...
Scope and Contents The manuscript volume - ink on paper - is titled on the spine Fordyce on inflammations. It may have been copied in 1807, which is after Fordyce's death in 1802. The content includes much on venereal disease and other headings include 'hooping cough', 'angina', inflammation of the lungs', 'inflammation of the intestines', 'inflammation of the substances of the liver', 'inflammation of the womb', 'on the causes of cold', 'on catarrh', 'sore throat attended...
Scope and Contents The collection comprises an Edinburgh University medal (bronze) awarded to Charles A. Anderson session 1888-1889, for the Senior Surgery class. The medal is mounted in a small case (Alex'r Kirkwood and Son, Medalists, 9 St. James Square, Edinburgh).
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 9
- Gregory, James, 1753-1821 (professor of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Monro, Alexander, 1733-1817 (professor of anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Saunders, William, 1743-1817 (physician) 2
- Alston, Charles, 1683-1760 (physician and botanist) 1
- Anderson, Charles A., fl. 1888-1934 (surgeon) 1
- Anderson, John William Johnsten, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Ballingall, George, Sir, 1780-1855 1
- Black, Joseph, 1728-1799 (professor of chemistry, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Burditt, William Fotherby, 1849-1931, New Brunswick businessman 1
- Cabbell, J, fl 1750s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Carruthers, Dr., Samuel William, 1866-1962 (Doctor; Anaesthetist) 1
- Chavasse, Nicholas Willett, fl. 1763-1784 (surgeon) 1
- Chepmell, Edward Charles, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Christian Salvesen Ltd. (1872-2007) (shipping company) 1
- Cooter, Roger, 1948- 1
- Cullen, William, 1710-1790 (chemist and mettalurgist) 1
- Duncan, Andrew, 1744-1828 (the elder | British physician | Professor at University of Edinburgh) 1
- Fleming, Alexander, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Fordyce, George, 1736-1802 (physician) 1
- Fotherby, Henry Isaac, 1822-1905, Doctor 1
- Fraser, Thomas Richard, Sir, 1841-1920 (physician and pharmacologist, professor of medicine at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Graves, William H. Y., 1799-1853, Doctor 1
- Gregory, James, d. 1731 (Professor of Medicine, King's College, Aberdeen) 1
- Guthrie, Douglas James, 1885-1975 (surgeon and historian of medicine) 1
- John, Henry Craven St, 1837-1909 (Royal Navy Officer) 1
- Jones, Frederick Denbigh, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Jones, Thomas Cumpston, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Kaufman, Matthew H., Professor, 1942-2013 (Professor of Anatomy) 1
- Lavoisier, Antoine Laurent, 1743-1794 (French chemist) 1
- MacIntosh, Ian M., Dr., fl. 1952-1962 (medical doctor at whaling station, South Georgia) 1
- Macaskie, James Griffith, Dr, 1856-1945 (general practitioner) 1
- Monro, Alexander, 'primus', 1697-1767 (Professor of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- NHS Education for Scotland 1
- Nimmo, John, d 1827, Doctor 1
- Norbert Dentressangle 1
- Orr, Robert Low, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Orr, William J, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Philip, Dr., Grant E. (Doctor, Crime fiction writer) 1
- Robison, John, 1739-1805 (professor of natural philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Robson, James Scott, Professor, 1921-2010 (professor of medicine, Edinburgh University) 1
- Roslin Institute 1
- Royal Medical Society (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Rutherford, Daniel, 1749-1819 (physician and botanist) 1
- Rutherford, John, 1695-1779 (Professor of Medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Schofield, Anne Dollar, 1921-2015 (née Davies | Physician) 1
- Thorne, Isabel Jane, 1834-1910 (campaigner for medical education for women) 1
- University of Edinburgh MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine (stem cell research centre) 1
- University of Edinburgh. Edinburgh University Library 1
- University of Glasgow (Scottish University)) 1
- Vass, James, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Wardell, John Richard, fl. 1844 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Watson, James Kenneth, fl.1885-1896 (surgeon) 1
- Watt, James, 1736-1819 (engineer) 1
- Whytt, Robert, 1714-1766 (professor of theory of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Wilmut, Ian, Sir, 1944-: (professor of reproductive science, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Young, Thomas, 1726-1783 (physician and professor of midwifery) 1 ∧ less