Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Collection of offprints entitled "A Collection of Published Works by the Department of Surgery. University of Edinburgh" in three volumes
Collection — Multiple Containers
Content Description This is a collection of offprints entitled "A Collection of Published Works by the Department of Surgery. University of Edinburgh". It is divided in three volumes: 1957-1965 (vol. I), 1966-1969 (vol. II), and 1970-1976 (vol. III). The foreword explains that "as an appreciation of the outstanding contribution to Surgical Science and Immunology made by Sir Michael Woodruff during his occupation of the Chair of Surgery (formerly Surgical Science), his colleagues have compiled a collection of most...
Manuscript entitled "An Enquiry into the Elements of General Therapeutics, with Special Illustrations, to which is prefixed an Essay on the Nature Value and Utility of Theory" by Robert Abraham
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1592
Content Description This is a manuscript on medicine and drugs written by Robert Abraham in 1825 in Carlisle and London.This manuscript comprises three sections, each including an index: Part First. "An Essay on the Nature, Value, and Utility of Theory", starting a few pages before p. 1; Part Second. "An Enquiry &c.' into the nature of narcotics, hypnotics, sleep, coma, mania, & idiocy",...
Dates: c 1825
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1704
Content Description Manuscript notebook of Dr Thomas Charles Hope recording medical case histories. The constellation of Dr Hope, Dr Duncan, and Dr Rutherford together with the mention of patients being admitted "into the Infirmary" lead to the ascription of this being notes from the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. The Dr Duncan mentioned several times in the text is presumably Andrew Duncan (1773-1832), who founded the hospital.
Dates: ca 1796
Notebooks of lectures at the University of Edinburgh, taken down by Robert Low Orr and William J. Orr
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of 20 notebooks containing notes on legal and medical lectures given at the University of Edinburgh, taken down by Robert Low Orr and William J. Orr. Also includes some class cards, exam papers, and ephemera of Robert Low Orr. Robert Low Orr: Lectures on Metaphysics (Fraser) Robert Low Orr: Law lectures (Muirhead, Macpherson) Robert Low Orr: Scots law...
Scope and Contents Two volumes containing notes of lectures on midwifery by Thomas Young given in 1763-1764, and notes of lectures on 'the practice of physic' given by Andrew Duncan Snr in 1778.
Scope and Contents Notes of lectures on clinical medicine given by Prof. John Rutherford, 1755-1756, and notes of lectures on anatomy given by Alexander Monro primus, circa 1752-1755, taken by J. Cabbell.
Dates: c 1752-1756
- Student lecture notes 3
- Medical students 2
- University of Edinburgh -- students 2
- Case Notes 1
- Drugs 1
- Forensic medicine 1
- Law (Scotland) 1
- Materia medica 1
- Medicine 1
- Medicine | Research | 1
- Medicine | Research | Scotland | Edinburgh | 1
- Metaphysics 1
- Midwifery 1
- Midwifery | Scotland | Edinburgh | 1
- Offprints 1
- Pathology 1
- Surgery 1
- Surgery | Edinburgh (Scotland) | 1 ∧ less
- Abraham, Robert, fl 1823-1825 (Physician, journalist and lawyer; University of Edinburgh alumnus) 1
- Cabbell, J, fl 1750s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Duncan, Andrew, 1744-1828 (the elder | British physician | Professor at University of Edinburgh) 1
- Duncan, Andrew, 1773-1832 (the younger | British physician) 1
- Fraser, Thomas Richard, Sir, 1841-1920 (physician and pharmacologist, professor of medicine at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Guthrie, Douglas James, 1885-1975 (surgeon and historian of medicine) 1
- Hope, Thomas Charles, 1766-1844 (Professor of chemistry, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Monro, Alexander, 'primus', 1697-1767 (Professor of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Orr, Robert Low, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Orr, William J, fl 1870s-1880s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh (1729-:) 1
- Rutherford, John, 1695-1779 (Professor of Medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Woodruff, Sir Michael Francis Addison, 1911-2001 (Knight | Surgeon) 1
- Young, Thomas, 1726-1783 (physician and professor of midwifery) 1 ∧ less