Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Scope and Contents Seven notebooks containing lecture notes taken down by John Borthwick of Crookston at the University of Edinburgh between 1802 and 1807. Notes on 'Humanity' lectures Notes on lectures of Greek, translation from Fenelon's Télémaque and observations upon the maxims of La Rochefoucauld Notes on lectures on moral philosophy by Dugald Stewart,...
Fonds — Box: Gen.1987-1989
Scope and Contents 3 small, soft-bound volumes of notes taken at lectures on moral pholosophy given by Dugald Stewart.
Scope and Contents One volume of notes taken down by Thomas Millar, who lived at 9 Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, on lectures on natural philosophy given by George Lees. There is note reading: 'George Lees appears in the Edinburgh Post Office Directory 1840/1, as Lecturer in Natural Philosopgy at the School of Arts, Adam Square'. This schhol was the Edinburgh School of Arts, later known as the Watt Institution and School of Arts, which had moved to Adam Square in 1837.
Notes of philosophy lectures given by George Glennie, taken down by William Simpson at Marischal College
Scope and Contents Notebook containing notes of philosophy lectures given by Prof. George Glennie, taken down by William Simpson at Marischall College, Aberdeen, in 1834.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of the lectures notes, photographs and slides of Rev. George Hastie, student at the University of Edinburg in the late 1960s. The lecture notes were taken by Hastie for his MA course at Edinburgh Univertsity between 1967 and 1970. The slides show photographs taken by Hastie in 1966, 1967 and 1968. Also includes a rectorial election leaflet entitled 'The Making of a Rector', printed for the Tom Hutton Campaign in 1968.1. The lecture notes include a complete set of MA...
Unpublished essay entitled 'Answer to Messrs Crombie, Priestley, and Co.', by James Gregory, Professor of Medicine
Scope and Contents Essay by James Gregory, Professor of Medicine, entitled 'Answer to Messrs Crombie, Priestley, and Co.', which is a reply to Alexander Crombie's Essay on philosophical necessity (London: 1793). Printed, but not apparently published. 512 pages, incomplete.
Dates: c 1793
- Philosophy 5
- Student lecture notes 4
- University of Edinburgh -- student lecture notes 3
- Botany 1
- Charities 1
- Classical Literature 1
- Ethics 1
- Greek Language 1
- Lectures 1
- Philosophy and science 1
- Psychology 1
- Slides (Photography) 1
- Student activities | Edinburgh (Scotland) 1
- Theology 1
- University of Edinburgh -- students 1 ∧ less
- Stewart, Dugald, 1753-1828 (Scottish philosopher and mathematician) 2
- Borthwick, John, fl 1800s (of Crookston | Edinburgh University student) 1
- Crombie, Alexander, 1762-1840 (Presbyterian minister, schoolmaster and philosopher) 1
- Dalzel, Andrew, 1742-1806 (Professor of Greek and Honorary Librarian, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Glennie, George, 1768-1845 (Professor of Moral Philosophy in Marischal College, and minister of West Parish Church.) 1
- Gregory, James, 1753-1821 (professor of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Heriot-Watt College (1885-1966) 1
- Lees, George, fl 1840 (Lecturer in Natural Philosophy, Watt Institution and School of Arts) 1
- Marischal College (1593-1858) 1
- Millar, Thomas, fl 1840 (student, Watt Institution and School of Arts) 1
- Playfair, John, 1748-1819 (scientist, mathematician, and professor of natural philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Simpson, William, fl 1830s (student, Marischal College) 1
- Torrance, James B, 1923-2003 (theologian) 1
- Torrance, Thomas Forsyth, 1913-2007 (theologian, and Professor of Christian Dogmatics at New College, Edinburgh) 1
- University of Aberdeen (1495-:) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Unknown student (University of Edinburgh) 1 ∧ less