Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of three bound volumes being Sir John Fraser's journal of a tour made around the world in 1935. Each volume contains many pages of black and white photographs along with pages of typescript text describing the journey. The first entry in the journal is dated Tuesday 22 January 1935 and describes the Langholm Hotel and the start of the journey to Southampton to catch the ship (RMS 'Aquitania') bound for New York. A journey across the USA by train followed,...
Scope and Contents Reproduction of the diary of John Fraser, then researcher at Imperial College, written during a land-surveying expedition to Spitzberg (Spitsbergen in Norwegian) in 1960. In addition to a day-to-day account of the expetition written by Fraser, the volume contains black-and-white photographs (orginals) depicting landscapes and various scenes of the expetition, a biographical note on Fraser, a photograph of Fraser himself at Imperial College, loose maps of Svalbard and Dicksonland, and an...
Collection — Box: CLX-D-72
Scope and Contents Two 'game books' which belonged to Major William Burton-Stewart, containing score tables recording his session of game birds shooting and black-and-white photographs of social events, hunting, and people. It also includes sketches and handwritten biographical and travelling accounts by Burton-Stewart himself. Places mentioned in the game books include Ratho Park, Conaglen, Stroud, Darleith, Lothians and the Borders, Venice, India, Ontario (Canada), etc.Highlights in the first album...
- Gamebirds 1
- Hunting 1
- India 1
- Norway -- Spitsbergen Island 1
- Principals, University 1
- Scientific expeditions 1
- Surgeons 1
- Topographical Surveying 1
- Travel 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1 ∧ less
- English 2
- English 1
- Fraser, John R, d 1961 (Glaciologist, Imperial College, and Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Fraser, Sir John, 1885-1947 (Principal of Edinburgh University and surgeon) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1