Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: four bundles of poems, each simply bound, with titlesConflict,Earth,Quest, andEpigrams; 4 separate signed poems; 1 letter to William Morrison, editor ofThe Scots Observersubmitting the typescript of some poems, 1934; and, six news cuttings giving a background to his life and poetry.
Scope and Contents The collection of poetry is composed of 10 basic groups, and in folders containing: Original poems by Whitelaw Ainslie, Cairnbank Original poems by Jane Kelly, Dunbar, mostly Original poems by James Dudgeon Original poems by William Dudgeon Robert Burns related items Walter Scott related items Printed...
Scope and Contents Johnston's poems are copies of typescript said to have been published in 2000 under the title New joined words, Livingston, West Lothian. There are 53-pages. The works of poetry are dated from 1957, with the poem 'The fish of horror' which was written at Honington, presumably R.A.F. Honington, and tell of a night of over-drinking. There is a poem written in 1966 - 'Good luck boys'. The remainder were written in succeeding decades up to 2001, with the poems 'To the...
Scope and Contents The material in the collection spans a period of 22 years from 1974 to 1996, and consists of several dozens of pages. The content tells of George Mackay Brown's annual cycle and his daily life, and particularly of visits of muses and other friends, as well as referring to publishing and contract matters. Included among the many individuals mentioned or referred to in the letters are: Ernest Marwick, Edwin Muir, Andrew Motion, Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Hermann Palsson, Simon Fraser, Esther...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of letters and postcards to close friends John Freeman and John Arlott, as well as analyses of religious questions in poetry. There are circa 20 autograph letters and 10 signed letters to Freeman, 1922-1927, and circa 100 autograph letters to Arlott from the 1940s to the 1970s. The collection also includes BBC typescript broadcasts on The search for flowers, Some rare flowers of the west, ...
Collection — Box: CLX-A-375
Content Description A small group of four unrelated letters from Allan Cunningham to various correspondents, dating from 1826 to 1833 when dated. Letter to Jerdan (presumably William), 1 page 8vo, 29 November 1826, sending a 'Scots Almanack with the respects of our friend George Bagot the Bookseller'. Letter to Thomas ?Gaspay at Walnut Tree Walk, Lambeth, 1 page 4to, 27 Belgrave Place, 15 May 1828, describing the...
Scope and Contents Items relating to the poet, Thomas Campbell, include:
- - letter, 22 February 1834, to Francis Jeffrey, the Lord Advocate, writing that he is thinking about competing for the position of chair of Rhetoric and Belles Lettres at Edinburgh University, at shelfmark E2009.18
- - letter, undated fragment, at shelfmark Dc.3.99/13, f.7
Scope and Contents At E2010.16 there is an 'autograph letter signed' from Thomas Lyle to John Aitken at Gayfield Square, Edinburgh, dated 28 May 1827. The letter is concerned with Lyle's compilation Ancient ballads and songs and how, having received 'notice from Mr. Lumisden', he is aware of Aitken's 'willingness to suggest a few amendments and additions to the Lyrical MS'. Lyle has heard much about 'Mr Aitken's abilities, from Glasgow friends', and would regard 'any little assistance'...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1264
Scope and Contents 1 x letter - from Henderson, on School of Scottish Studies headed paper, to Sharp - 15 July 1973 - Content on: having 'fractured my elbow a month ago'; plans to go 'up to Aberdeenshire today to do some recording'; and, possible meeting with Sharp 'on Saturday or Sunday' and 'the Staff Club for a drink'. 1 x letter - from Henderson, on School of Scottish Studies headed paper, to Sharp - 26 July 1973...
Scope and Contents The ms and ts collection, and printed ephemera, is composed of correspondence, cards and book-labels, some of which are items which had been placed inside volumes within the George Sims and the Tragara Press monograph collection (Folders 1-6), and a few gifted separately by the same seller (Folder 7). The items are: Folder 1 - Cards, with poems: All that has follied with the sun is done, George...
- Subject: Poets X
- Poets 13
- Poetry 10
- Poets, Scottish 6
- Scottish literature | 20th century 5
- Correspondence 3
- Scottish poetry -- 20th century 3
- English literature | 20th century 2
- Folklorists 2
- Intellectuals 2
- Lyricists 2
- Scots language 2
- Songs 2
- Authors 1
- Autographs 1
- Editors 1
- Novelists 1
- Novelists, Scottish 1
- Orkney Scotland 1
- Radio Broadcasting 1
- Scottish Poetry Library (Edinburgh, Scotland) 1
- Stromness (Scotland) 1
- Women authors, English 1
- Women poets, English 1 ∧ less
- English 17
- English 2
- Hamish Henderson Archive Trust 2
- Henderson, Hamish Scott, 1919-2002 (folklorist, poet, songwriter, soldier, intellectual) 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Ainslie, Sir Whitelaw, 1767-1837 (surgeon and writer) 1
- Aitken, John, 1793-1833 (bookseller and editor) 1
- Brown, George Mackay, 1921-1996 (writer and poet) 1
- Brunner, Hugo, b. 1935 (publisher) 1
- Campbell, Thomas, 1777-1844 (Scottish poet) 1
- Conder, Josiah, 1789-1855 (writer, editor and compiler) 1
- Crawford, Louisa Matilda Jane, c 1791-1857 (professional songwriter) 1
- Cunningham, Allan, 1784-1842 (Scottish writer and poet) 1
- Dudgeon , William (poet) 1
- Dudgeon, James, fl 1830 (poet, brother of William Dudgeon) 1
- Jacob, Violet, 1863-1946 (Scottish writer and poet) 1
- Jeffrey, Francis, Lord Jeffrey, 1773-1850 (Scottish judge) 1
- Johnston, William Thompson, b. 1934 (antiquarian and publisher) 1
- Kellie, Jane, fl 1818-1826 (poet in Dunbar) 1
- Lyle, Thomas, 1792-1859 (physician and poet) 1
- MacBeth, George Mann, 1932-1992 (poet and novelist) 1
- MacLean, Sorley, 1911-1996 (poet) 1
- Ransford, Tessa, 1938-2015 (poet and Scottish Poetry Library founder) 1
- Scott, Tom, 1918-1995 (poet and literary critic) 1
- Sharp, Michael, b 1947 (poet; teacher at University of Puerto Rico) 1
- Sims, George Frederick Robert, 1923-1999, bookseller, antiquarian 1
- Soutar, William, 1898-1943, Poet 1
- Tragara Press 1
- Young, Andrew John, 1885-1971 (Canon of Chichester Cathedral, Poet) 1 ∧ less