Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12
Bound lecture notes of Ethelwyn Lemon
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of 15 volumes of bound lecture notes that belonged to Ethelwyn Lemon. These notes were taken by Ethelwyn Lemon herself, or by other fellow female students, in the late 19th-early 20th century at the University of Edinburgh. Notes of lectures on British history given by Sir Richard Lodge, taken down by Barbara M Craw. Edinburgh University, 1904. (4 vols) Notes of lectures on...
[Church history. MS on paper]
Scope and Contents The inventory includes mention of John Kennedy of Blairquhan and his chapel at St. Ninian's (1508). There is also the will of the jeweller and philanthropist, George Heriot (1563-1624), who left funds to Edinburgh's ministers to found the hospital which bore his name (now a school). In addition there are letters from Lord Salisbury, Fentoun (Alexander Erskine, Viscount Fentoun), and others, and including Scottish government letters of condolence on the death of Henry, Prince of Wales,...
Scope and Contents This bound volume contains copies of letters, these being: - copy of letter by Sir George McKenzie to the Lord Balcarres, 1684 - copy letter from Sir George Mackenzie to the Earls of Moray and Middleton - copy letter John, Duke of Lauderdale, 1680 - copy letter Elizabeth, Countess of Dysart, after Duchess of Lauderdale - copy letters Field...
Collection of Ian R. Grant, antiquarian bookseller
Scope and Contents The material represents Ian R. Grant's seller's stock. The widely varied content of the collection includes legal documents on vellum, oaths of burgesses, inventories, correspondence and letter books, printed material such as adverts, magazines and religious pamphlets, songs and poems, family history documents, etc. It also includes a collection of c. 30 Burmese palm leaf manuscripts dating from the 19th century.Because there was no discernible original order, the material was arranged by...
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Facsimiles of Scottish Charters and Letters prepared by Sir William Fraser
Scope and Contents The facsimile charters are loose and are numbered at rear from 1 to 288. A few are missing, and these are, nos: 37, 50, 89, 110-111, 136-137, 151, 211, and 233.
Intelligence report from Thomas Henderson at Jedburgh to Sir John Forster, October 1559
Scope and Contents The manuscript intelligence report penned 23 October 1559 at 'Jedert', Jedburgh, contains news of movements of the forces loyal to the Protestant Lords of Congregation in Edinburgh and mentions skirmishes between them and the French garrison at Leith. Sent by Thomas Henderson, burgess of Jedburgh, to Sir John Forster, the letter updates Forster on developments in the hostilities between the Protestant Congregation and the Catholic side headed by the Scottish regent Mary of Guise (1515-1560)....
Material relating to Sir Thomas Hope, of Craighall, and Sir Thomas Hope, junior, of Kerse
Scope and Contents Manuscript book. [Major Practicks]. The 'Practiques and decisiones of the Lords of sessions, with sev[er]all Collectiones out of the booke of the Majestie, Burrow Lawes, Acts of Parlia[men]t and bookes of Sederunt Collected (as is supposed) by Sir Thomas Hope elder whose the Observationes of the practiques are when he was Kings advocat putt in order and addit unto, by his sonne Sir Thomas Hope Junior of Carse'. The book bears the arms or book plate of Dundas of Arniston, front cover, and on the...
Papers of Ailsa Giles Maxwell
Scope and Contents The collection is composed partly of notes from the following lecture courses taken by Macdonald: Political Economy II, 1945-1946; Political Economy, 1946-1947; Political Economy, Honours, 1946-1947; undated Economics, Honours; undated European Economic History; and, undated Political Economy (Dr. Rankin). Another part of the collection is composed of Maxwell's lecture notes, being: English Literature, First Ordinary, and Scottish History, 1938-1939; British History, Honours,...
Revenues or patrimony of the Crown, Edinburgh c. 1655
Scope and Contents The bound manuscript volume begins with a paragraph in Latin, thereafter it is in English. The 'revenues or patrimony' are listed by 'county' or other, beginning with 'Berwyck Shyre' with 'property', and 'observations' noted. Then follows 'Shyre of Selkirk', 'Roxburgh Shyre', 'Peebles Shyre', Dumfriece Shyre', 'Lanark Shyre', Kirkcudbright Stewartrie', 'Wigtoune Shyre','Chamberlane of Galloway', 'Air Shyre', 'Bailliarie of Carrick', 'Bailliarie of Kyle', Dumbrittane Shyre', 'Bute Shyre',...
- Scotland -- History 7
- Scotland | History | 17th century 5
- Great Britain | History | 2
- Latin Language 2
- Antiquarian booksellers 1
- Archaeology 1
- Booksellers and bookselling 1
- Charters 1
- Church history -- 17th century 1
- Classical Civilisation 1
- Classical Literature 1
- Collectors 1
- Counties 1
- Economics 1
- Europe | History | 1
- Family History 1
- Family papers 1
- Genealogy 1
- Greek Language 1
- History 1
- History, 18th century (Scotland) 1
- History, 19th century (Scotland) 1
- Legal Documents 1
- Manuscripts 1
- Military Intelligence 1
- Note-taking | 1
- Scotland -- Wishaw 1
- Scots language 1
- Student lecture notes 1
- Students 1
- Theses 1
- Women students 1 ∧ less
- English 8
- English 2
- Multiple languages 2
- Latin 1
- Brown, Gerard Baldwin, 1849-1932 (Watson-Gordon Professor of Fine Art, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Burns, Margaret, fl 1890s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Butcher, Samuel Henry, 1850-1910 (classicist, politician and professor of greek, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Craw, Barbara M, fl 1900s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Forster, John, Sir, circa 1515-1602 (English administrator, Scottish borders; deputy warden, English middle march) 1
- Fraser, William, Sir, 1816-1898 (solicitor, historian, palaeographer, and genealogist) 1
- Goodhart, Harry Chester, 1858-1895 (English footballer and Professor of Humanity, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Grant, Ian Robertson, fl 1910-1974 (antiquarian bookseller) 1
- Hannay, Robert Kerr, Professor, 1867-1940 (historian, palaeographer) 1
- Henderson, Thomas, circa 1599 (burgess of Jedburgh) 1
- Hope, Thomas, Sir Thomas Hope of Kerse, 1606?1643 (judge; politician) 1
- Hope, Thomas, Sir, 1573-1646 (1st baronet, of Craighall; lawyer) 1
- Jamieson, F R, fl 1890s (lecturer in Latin Literature, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Kinloch, G. E., fl. 1820-1829 1
- Lemon, Ethelwyn Lilias, fl 1890s-1940s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- Lodge, Richard, Professor Sir, 1855-1936 (historian) 1
- Maxwell, Ailsa Giles, fl. 1945-1948 (Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Maxwell, Stuart, fl. 1938-1947, Edinburgh University graduate 1
- Pattison, Andrew Seth Pringle-, 1856-1931 (Scottish philosopher) 1
- Sharp, James, 1613-1679 (Archbishop of St. Andrews) 1
- Steuart, Baronets (of Coltness) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1608-1681 (Lord Provost of Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1635-1713 (Lord Advocate of Scotland) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1681-1727 (Solicitor-General of Scotland) 1
- Stevenson, Isabella Watt, fl 1890s (Edinburgh University student) 1
- van Bosen, J. Frederick, fl. 1688 (historian) 1 ∧ less