Showing Collections: 11 - 19 of 19
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-373
Content Description Collection of 17 autograph letters signed (ALS), from Samuel Smiles (Scottish author and government reformer) to various correspondents, discussing literary and publishing matters, his works and lectures, and various business and financial matters. 29 November 1852: letter to Thomas Nunneley, one page, 4to., relating to 'the amount of compensation which was to be offered to representatives...
Scope and Contents The Maurice Lindsay Papers contain poetry notebooks; drafts, manuscripts and typescripts; radio scripts; incoming correspondence and some carbon replies; articles by Lindsay; C.M. Grieve manuscripts; and, outgoing correspondence. Within the Maurice Lindsay Papers are up to three boxes containing private and personal letters (dated 1943-46) between Lindsay and his future wife and which are not available for general study until after the deaths of the writer and recipient without their express...
Scope and Contents This MS letter, addressed to 'Dear Sir', was written by Violet Jacob at Domaine de la Congue, Vence, in the Alpes Maritimes, France, on 6 April [no year] and presumably in 1936, given the reference in the letter to 'the honour done'. 1936 was the year in which she received the LL.D. from Edinburgh University. Domaine de la Congue is the location of a French 'Maison de retraite', a sanatorium for veterans today. The letter tells of how the letter reached her 'after various adventures' and that...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Fred Urquhart contain drawings, diplomas, essays, stories, poems and early manuscripts; and, various notes, and typescripts. There are reports and correspondence from periods with Cassell, and J.M. Dent, and relating to work with other publishers and MGM and Walt Disney. The collection includes diaries and notebooks on H.E. Bates from the 1930s; and, address books and diaries covering several decades. There is correspondence with his parents between 1936-1965, and a great deal of...
Scope and Contents The papers of Hamish Henderson consist of letters, journals, article off-prints, newsletters, notebooks, printed work, miscellaneous ephemera and photographs, books, School of Scottish Studies material, along with fragments of poems and songs, some unpublished. There are also articles, scripts and essays which had been sent by others to Henderson. Henderson's correspondents include many of the 20th century's leading folk singers, musicians, and scholars, political figures and...
Scope and Contents Collection is composed of circa 100 letters from between 1956 and the late-1970s.
Scope and Contents The collections is composed of: autograph manuscripts; typed manuscripts; signed autograph letters and signed typed letters; and autograph post cards. There are also contents lists and corrected galley proofs. The collection includes letters of congratulation on the publication of the journal, and letters from Christopher Grieve (Hugh MacDiarmid).
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 6 boxes of photographs (15in. x 12in.) of Scottish writers, mostly noted as either Edinburgh or Glasgow, and dated between 1968 and 1979. The photographs include those of: Helen B. Cruickshank, Hugh MacDiarmid, Norman MacCaig, Liz Lochhead, Billy Connolly, George Mackay Brown, Hamish Henderson, and William McIlvanney.
The Harris Transcript of old Scottish Ballads - bound volume with manuscript transcript of Scottish ballads
Content Description This important bound volume with ms transcript of Scottish ballads had been in the ownership of Mr. Hilary Corke, a Lecturer at Edinburgh University, 1951-1955. It is one of two ms volumes known as the Harris Repertoire. Corke had 're-discovered' it in 1955. Much earlier it had been sought after by collectors Norval Clyne, the Aberdonian advocate, and by Francis James Child. It contains a book-plate with arms on the inside front-board - 'Hilary Corke'. On one of the early...
- Subject: Scottish literature X
- Henderson, Hamish Scott, 1919-2002 (folklorist, poet, songwriter, soldier, intellectual) 3
- MacDiarmid, Hugh, 1892-1978 (Scottish poet) 3
- Brown, George Mackay, 1921-1996 (writer and poet) 2
- Hamish Henderson Archive Trust 2
- Scott, Sir Walter, 1771-1832 (novelist and poet) 2
- Bacon, J T, fl 1880s 1
- Brunner, Hugo, b. 1935 (publisher) 1
- Burke, Bernard, fl 1860s 1
- Campbell, Colin, 1644-1726 1
- Corke, Hilary Topham (writer, composer, mineralogist, lecturer) 1
- Corson, James Clarkson, 1905-1988 (Scottish librarian and scholar) 1
- Durcan, Paul, b. 1944, Literary critic 1
- Elborn, Geoffrey 1
- Green, Martin, fl. 1969-1970, Literary critic 1
- Gregory, James, 1638-1675 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Grierson, Herbert John Clifford, 1866-1960 (literary critic and professor of English Literature) 1
- Harris, Amelia 1
- Harris, Jane 1
- Hayes, Thomas, fl 1870s 1
- Hogg, James, 1770-1835 1
- Jacob, Violet, 1863-1946 (Scottish writer and poet) 1
- Leith, Dick, d 2011 (linguist) 1
- Lindsay, John Maurice, 1918-2009 (Scottish poet) 1
- Mason, Perry, fl 1880s 1
- Newton, Isaac, Sir, 1642-1727 1
- Nunneley, Thomas, fl 1850s 1
- Partington, Earnest E, fl 1880s 1
- Ringsleben, Mary R. E., Dr., fl. 1954-1968 (Edinburgh University graduate; signatory of the Committee of 100) 1
- Scott, Tom, 1918-1995 (poet and literary critic) 1
- Sendamore, T J, fl 1860s 1
- Sharp, Michael, b 1947 (poet; teacher at University of Puerto Rico) 1
- Sharpe, Charles, fl 1870s 1
- Sillard, R M (fl 1890s) 1
- Smiles, Samuel, 1812-1904 (Scottish author and government reformer) 1
- Sorabji, Kaikhosru Shapurji, 1892-1988 (English composer, music journalist and pianist) 1
- Turner, Fred A, fl 1890s 1
- Two Rivers (Literary Journal) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Urquhart, Frederick Burrows, 1912-1995 1
- Watson, R S, fl 1880s 1
- Wright, Gordon, b. 1942 (Publisher, Photographer) 1
- Zimmern, Helen, 1846-1934 (writer) 1 ∧ less