Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents Seventeen volumes of lectures notes by Victor Field Usher, a medical student at the University of Edinburgh in 1902-1907, who became the first physician to introduce Arsphenamine (the first effective treatment for syphilis, developed by Prof. Paul Ehrlich) to the UK. The fonds includes: Three volumes entitled Practice of Medicine - Gibson, Philip & Bruce containing notes and...
Scope and Contents On a title page of one of the two volumes the contents are stated as being notes of Edinburgh University, Rhetoric and English Literature 1878-1879, Historical Course, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The name of James Malloch appears there too. Similar information appears on a title page of the second volume. These contents are stated as being notes of Edinburgh University, Rhetoric and English Literature 1878-1879, Theoretical Course, Mondays and Tuesdays. This volume shows the name, James Malloch....
Fonds — Volume: Dc.2.41
Scope and Contents Single volume, though one that has been part of a larger set, containing lectures given by Joseph Black, beginning 30 Oct 1782. The lectures are numbered 1 through to 59, with and indication that they were continued in a further volume (not present). The volume is paginated and bound between pages is a fold-out drawing, dated 1784, of a thermometer, marked with properties/states of various substances at specific temperatures.The author of the volume is unknown but was almost certainly one...
Fonds — translation missing: en.enumerations.container_type.container: CLX-A-351
Scope and Contents Three volumes of notes on Dr. Joseph Black's lectures on chemistry. The full title is: 'Notes of Dr. Black's Philosophical Lectures on Chemistry, Corrected and enlarged by the joint labor of George Buchan Hepburn and Alexander Law, advocates'. Manuscript, in a neat and legible hand, of notes of Black's course of 57 lectures on chemistry delivered from 13th June to 22nd December 1775.
- Lectures and Lecturing 3
- Chemistry 2
- Lectures 2
- Classical Literature 1
- English literature 1
- English 3
- English 2
- Black, Joseph, 1728-1799 (professor of chemistry, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Brown, R (student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Caird, Francis Mitchell, 1853-1926 (Scottish surgeon, Regius Professor of Clinical Surgery at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Chiene, John, 1843-1923 (Scottish surgeon, Professor of Surgery at the University of Edinburgh ) 1
- Cicero, Marcus Tullius, 106-43 BCE (Roman statesman, lawyer, scholar, and writer) 1
- Dickson, William Elliot Carnegie, 1878-1954 (Scottish physician) 1
- Haultain, Francis William Nicol, 1861-1921 (Gynaecologist and obstetrician) 1
- Mackay, George, 1861-1949 (British ophthalmic surgeon) 1
- Malloch, James, fl. 1878-1879 1
- Masson, David Mather, 1822-1907 (Regius Professor of Rhetoric and Belles Lettres, Edinburgh University) 1
- Pringle, John, Sir, 1st Baronet (Professor of Moral Philosopy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Stiles, Sir Harold Jalland, 1863-1946 (Knight | British surgeon) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Usher, Victor Field, 1880-1952 (physician, medical alumnus of Edinburgh University) 1 ∧ less