Showing Collections: 11 - 18 of 18
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Scope and Contents The collection - E2005.13 - is composed of typescript and manuscript material in the form of off-prints, articles, reports, notebooks, letters, postcards, and diary. There are also photographs. Within the typescript material and collection of letters, there is: correspondence with users of the collection covering period 1980-1985; a copy of Manners and customs of the Ba-Bemba, collected by W. Freshwater, Mbereshi, 1906; manuscript postcard notes, and typescript...
Scope and Contents The collection of papers includes: an account of the population of the parish of Kells, Kirkcudbright - June 1811 letter to James Campbell at York Place, Edinburgh, from his father, William Campbell, prior to his departing for France with the Hart family, and with news that the family had 'flitted into the new house' and that there were problems 'of thatching and damp floor' which would 'cost...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-352
Scope and Contents This collection consists of a diary, correspondence, an account book, a photograph and an envelope containing hair, all from the personal papers of Katie Halley, a Scottish woman who lived in London in the 19th century. Her papers offer a vivid insight into her daily life abroad and her desire to maintain her Scottish roots.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-327
Scope and Contents The collection consists of two sketchbooks by Scottish writer R. M. Ballantyne:1. The first sketchbook is made of approximately 85 leaves, almost all of which bear original drawings (pencil, ink and ink-and wash), cartoons, sketches and preliminary ideas. Some are highly finished images intended for a subsequently abandoned book of his fishing trip to Norway, as well as material for the published 'Freaks on the Fells'. On the first blank is Ballantyne's presentation inscription to the...
Scope and Contents Reproduction of the diary of John Fraser, then researcher at Imperial College, written during a land-surveying expedition to Spitzberg (Spitsbergen in Norwegian) in 1960. In addition to a day-to-day account of the expetition written by Fraser, the volume contains black-and-white photographs (orginals) depicting landscapes and various scenes of the expetition, a biographical note on Fraser, a photograph of Fraser himself at Imperial College, loose maps of Svalbard and Dicksonland, and an...
Scope and Contents Travel ephemera relating to the journey made by Verna Isaac includes: 1 x Canadian Pacific passenger list relevant to the sailing from Liverpool, Tuesday 22 August 1961 1 x Canadian Pacific westbound ocean ticket in favour of Miss Verna Isaac, on 'Empress of Britain', Liverpool to Montreal, 22 August 1961 1 x ticket document pouch (without tickets) - Trans-Canada Air Lines /...
Collection — Box: CLX-D-72
Scope and Contents Two 'game books' which belonged to Major William Burton-Stewart, containing score tables recording his session of game birds shooting and black-and-white photographs of social events, hunting, and people. It also includes sketches and handwritten biographical and travelling accounts by Burton-Stewart himself. Places mentioned in the game books include Ratho Park, Conaglen, Stroud, Darleith, Lothians and the Borders, Venice, India, Ontario (Canada), etc.Highlights in the first album...
- Subject: Travel X
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Ballantyne, Robert Michael, 1825-1894 (Scottish writer) 1
- Campbell, James, 1789-1861 (minister of Traquair) 1
- Campbell, William, 1755-1829 1
- Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. 1
- Dennistoun, James, 1803-1855 (Scottish advocate, antiquary and art collector) 1
- Empress of Britain (Steamship) 1
- Fraser, John R, d 1961 (Glaciologist, Imperial College, and Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Fraser, John, Sir, 1885-1947 (principal of Edinburgh University and surgeon) 1
- Freshwater, Nancy (Annie), 1874-1959, Wife of Missionary 1
- Freshwater, Will, 1872-1936, Missionary 1
- Halley, Katie, fl 1866-1881 1
- Isaac, Verna, fl. 1961 (passenger on 'Empress of Britain') 1
- Jameson, Robert, 1774-1854 (geologist and professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- John, Henry Craven St, 1837-1909 (Royal Navy Officer) 1
- London Missionary Society 1
- MacDonald, Harry Lindsay Somerled, 1861-1936 (cricketer) 1
- MacDonald, William Donald, 1827-1862 (lieutenant-colonel 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Moir, Donald Grant, 1902-1986, Writer on Scottish roads, Geographer 1
- Petrarch, 1304-1374 (Italian scholar and poet) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Serjeant, Marion, d 2013 (Edinburgh-based doctor, wife of Robert Serjeant) 1
- Serjeant, Robert Bertram, 1915-1993 (Professor of Arabic, Cambridge) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Padua (1222-) (Italian University) 1 ∧ less