Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents This is the manuscript diary of James nicol (1810-1879), an Edinburgh University student in medicine and natural history, who would later become a geologist and Professor of Natural history at the University of Aberdeen. The journal was written between the 10th of October 1840, to the 21st of March 1841, when he attended the Winter Session at Berlin University. Enclosed in the volume are typed notes, giving a rather detailed index of the diary's contents. In his journal, James Nicol describes...
Dates: 10 October 1840-21 March 1841
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of three bound volumes being Sir John Fraser's journal of a tour made around the world in 1935. Each volume contains many pages of black and white photographs along with pages of typescript text describing the journey. The first entry in the journal is dated Tuesday 22 January 1935 and describes the Langholm Hotel and the start of the journey to Southampton to catch the ship (RMS 'Aquitania') bound for New York. A journey across the USA by train followed,...
Scope and Contents Notebooks containing manuscript notes by James Dennistoun, on 'The Baths of La Battaglia & Neighbourhood', that is to say the saline springs of Battaglia Terme, in the region of Padua, Italy. It also contains a loose note entitled 'Note as to Petrarch's cat mummy at Arqua'.Contents of the notebooks, as described in a typed note at the beginning:- Description of the Baths, pp. 1-31- Description of places in neighbourhood, pp. 31-85- Ingredient & Efficacy of Springs,...
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Dates: 1817-1867; c 1910-1962
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-352
Scope and Contents This collection consists of a diary, correspondence, an account book, a photograph and an envelope containing hair, all from the personal papers of Katie Halley, a Scottish woman who lived in London in the 19th century. Her papers offer a vivid insight into her daily life abroad and her desire to maintain her Scottish roots.
Scope and Contents Reproduction of the diary of John Fraser, then researcher at Imperial College, written during a land-surveying expedition to Spitzberg (Spitsbergen in Norwegian) in 1960. In addition to a day-to-day account of the expetition written by Fraser, the volume contains black-and-white photographs (orginals) depicting landscapes and various scenes of the expetition, a biographical note on Fraser, a photograph of Fraser himself at Imperial College, loose maps of Svalbard and Dicksonland, and an...
Collection — Box: CLX-D-72
Scope and Contents Two 'game books' which belonged to Major William Burton-Stewart, containing score tables recording his session of game birds shooting and black-and-white photographs of social events, hunting, and people. It also includes sketches and handwritten biographical and travelling accounts by Burton-Stewart himself. Places mentioned in the game books include Ratho Park, Conaglen, Stroud, Darleith, Lothians and the Borders, Venice, India, Ontario (Canada), etc.Highlights in the first album...
- Subject: Travel writing X
- Photographs 3
- Diaries 2
- Family papers 1
- Gamebirds 1
- Germany -- Berlin 1
- Golf 1
- Great Britain | History | 19th century 1
- Heraldry 1
- Hunting 1
- India 1
- Italy 1
- Lectures and Lecturing 1
- London (England) 1
- Medical students 1
- Norway -- Spitsbergen Island 1
- Principals, University 1
- Scientific expeditions 1
- Surgeons 1
- Thermal springs 1
- Topographical Surveying 1
- Travel 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1 ∧ less
- English 6
- English 1
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Dennistoun, James, 1803-1855 (Scottish advocate, antiquary and art collector) 1
- Fraser, John R, d 1961 (Glaciologist, Imperial College, and Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Fraser, Sir John, 1885-1947 (Principal of Edinburgh University and surgeon) 1
- Halley, Katie, fl 1866-1881 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Petrarch, 1304-1374 (Italian scholar and poet) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Padua (1222-) (Italian University) 1 ∧ less