Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-1593
Content Description Ths is a bound volume of manuscript material, correspondence and verse, by and about Thomas Brown, Scottish poet and Professor of Moral Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh from 1810 until the end of his life in 1820. The collection was almost certainly put together by his friend and colleague William Erskine, to whom the vast majority of the manuscripts are addressed.Contents: Twenty-seven autograph...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-360
Scope and Contents A group of thirteen letters from Thomas Chalmers to various correspondents, 1820-1846. Autograph Letter Signed to an unnamed correspondent, 16 February 1820: ('One reason for calling 1 upon you this evening was earnestly to solicit the hastening forward of our school estimates. Another was to speak to you of Mr McLeod in his capacity as a candidate for the reading school belonging to the Highland Society. I...
Scope and Contents The letters are largely those to Simpson from Thomas Chalmers, and Sir George Sinclair. There are also letters from the Earl of Morton and Lady Morton, the Duke of Buccleuch, the Duke of Richmond, the Earl of Rosebery, Lord Stanley, Baron Torphichen, and the Marquis of Tweeddale.
Found in: New College Library Special Collections
- Names: Chalmers, Thomas, 1780-1847 (Principal and Professor of Divinity at New College) X
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 2
- New College Library Special Collections 2
- Correspondence 2
- Autographs 1
- Church History 1
- Philosophers 1
- Scottish poetry 1
- English 2
- English 2
- Agnew, Andrew, 7th Baronet, 1793-1849 (Scottish politician) 1
- Brown, Thomas, 1778-1820 (Scottish poet and Professor of Moral Philosophy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Erskine, William, 1773-1852 (Scottish historian and orientalist) 1
- Irving, Edward, 1792-1834 (Scottish clergyman) 1