Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Scope and Contents The common-place books are written in the same hand, largely, and are described as: 1 x common-place book, small 4to, with 174pp numbered, dating from 1817-1837, though a later style of handwriting on last unnumbered 4 pp feature the date 1849. Original lightly diced Russia, lacking spine. Manuscript medical receipts, prescriptions. Entries feature named Scottish doctors or Scottish periodicals. An extensive...
Scope and Contents This volume in typescript contains careful notes on these two series of lectures at the University of Edinburgh. The first series, by Professor Robert Wallace (1853-1939), Chair of Agriculture, covers dairying, with extensive coverage of the different types of cheese and their production. The second, by Dr. William Fream, covers agricultural entomology, essentially the varieties of pests that attack crops. There are ink drawings throughout. Spine-title and title-page both indicate...
Scope and Contents The diaries contain notes by David Reid senior, of weather and farming neighbours, 1855 to 1856, and notes by David Reid junior, of school, farm and St. Andrews University, 1873 to 1883.
Scope and Contents Manuscript ledger, folio. 30pp used. A record of bull semen collections from all over Scotland, 1974-1978. The livestock appear to be privately owned bulls mainly the Ayrshire breed and black and whites, although there are other breeds too including beef breeds. About 33 bulls per page of the ms volume in single lines giving date, name of bull, name and address of owner, number of collections, semen volume, density and motility, straws frozen, and result.
Scope and Contents [to be completed]
Scope and Contents The material is composed of several folders of accounts offering an insight into farming practice throughout the mid-decades of the twentieth century, an impression of the scale of self-sustaining small business in Portobello and district itself, and an idea of the cost of living from the 1930s to the 1970s especially for a small farmer. The firms include insurance companies, animal feed firms, and repair shops. There are accounts from an ironmonger and sheet metal worker in Portobello, the...
Scope and Contents The records are composed of: an account book, in green vellum, of J.Waddel, the farmer at Crofthead, West Lothian, and of his son James Waddel, 1766-1838; and, a notebook containing lectures on various diseases. Also accounts for sales of butter, cheese, 1787-1793.
- Subject: Agriculture X
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Agriculture Society of Edinburgh 1
- Cronstedt, Axel Fredrik, 1722-1765 (Swedish chemist) 1
- Cullen, William, 1710-1790 (chemist and mettalurgist) 1
- Dundas, David John Wauchope, 1886-1938 1
- Fream, William, Professor, 1854?1906 (professor of natural history ) 1
- Highland Society of Scotland 1
- Home, Henry, Lord Kames, 1696-1782 (judge and philosopher) 1
- Linnaeus, Carl, 1707-1778 (Swedish taxonomist) 1
- Natural History Society of Edinburgh 1
- Park, J., fl 1932-1973, Farmer 1
- Park, M., fl 1932-1973, Farmer 1
- Reid, David, 1820-1884, Farmer 1
- Reid, David, 1865-1933, Farmer 1
- University of Edinburgh, Natural History Collection. Natural History Collection (1697-1812) 1
- Waddel, J., fl. 1780, Farmer 1
- Waddel, James, 1766-1838, Farmer 1
- Walker, John, 1731-1803 (professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh and clergyman) 1
- Wallace, Robert, Professor, 1853-1939 (professor of agriculture and rural economy) 1 ∧ less