Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Scope and Contents The collection consists of drawings from Roxburgh's collection of East Indian plants. These were sent by Nathaniel Wallis (or Wallich) to Robert Wight for theIcones plantarum Indiae orientalis1840-1853.
Scope and Contents The collection which bears the bookplate of Brigadier-General Alexander Walker of Bowland consists of some 280 pencil drawings of trees on the Malabar Coast, India. A few of the drawings are partly coloured.
Manuscript on Chinese botany entitled "Synonymie d'histoire naturelle Chinoise" by Joseph-Marie Callery
Content Description This is a manuscript on Chinese botany entitled "Synonymie d'histoire naturelle Chinoise", produced by Joseph-Marie Callery in the 1840s and never published. In this manuscript Callery discusses numerous genera, species and varieties of native plants found in Macau and Canton, many of which were unknown in Europe at the time. After giving their Latin and Chinese names, he describes their physical characteristics, habitat, their industrial, medicinal and culinary uses, details his own...
Scope and Contents A bound collection of pamphlets and off-prints, mostly on botanical subjects, which contain working notes of John Lowe and some watercolours which may be his too. There is a MS table of contents which lists nearly all the items but not in the order they are bound. The MS additions include: details of dated sightings, with place, to 'Bennett Notes on Norfolk plants'; and, MS notes of commentaries on the works. There is an autograph letter, 10 December 1898, from H.E. Brown of the...
Ms lecture notes on the 'Plant and its Food' by Stevenson Macadam (1829-1901), Lecturer Professor of Chemistry, Edinburgh
Scope and Contents Ms botanical lecture notes with diagram entitled The plant and its food by Stevenson Macadam. octo, 7pp. 'Britannia' watermarks.
Scope and Contents Red notebook containing notes taken at Dr Rutherford's botanical lectures in May 1790.
Scope and Contents One volume containing notes of botany lectures given by Sir Isaac Bayley Balfour, taken down by James R Watson at the University of Edinburgh in 1890.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of the lectures notes, photographs and slides of Rev. George Hastie, student at the University of Edinburg in the late 1960s. The lecture notes were taken by Hastie for his MA course at Edinburgh Univertsity between 1967 and 1970. The slides show photographs taken by Hastie in 1966, 1967 and 1968. Also includes a rectorial election leaflet entitled 'The Making of a Rector', printed for the Tom Hutton Campaign in 1968.1. The lecture notes include a complete set of MA...
Scope and Contents [to be completed]
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The unsorted material is composed of: a catalogue and book on Wemyss ware (pottery); a plaque to Davis from Turkey in gratitude for hisFlora of Turkey and the east Aegean islands; childhood travel notes; certificate of merit from the Republic of Turkey in its 50th Anniversary year, and in recognition forFlora of Turkey and the east Aegean islands; estate accounts; wartime correspondence; material relating to his appointment to Chair; old passports; and, correspondence with Dwight Ripley and...
- Subject: Botany X
- Balfour, Sir Isaac Bayley, 1853-1922 (professor of botany, University of Edinburgh and regius keeper of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh) 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 2
- Agriculture Society of Edinburgh 1
- Brown, Robert, 1908-1999, Professor of Botany 1
- Callery, Joseph-Marie, 1810-1862 (missionary, Sinologist, and botanist) 1
- Cronstedt, Axel Fredrik, 1722-1765 (Swedish chemist) 1
- Cullen, William, 1710-1790 (chemist and mettalurgist) 1
- Davis, Peter Hadland, 1918-1992, Professor of Plant Taxonomy 1
- Elliot, S, fl 1890s-1901 (Professor of Botany) 1
- Highland Society of Scotland 1
- Home, Henry, Lord Kames, 1696-1782 (judge and philosopher) 1
- Linnaeus, Carl, 1707-1778 (Swedish taxonomist) 1
- Lowe, John, Dr., 1830-1902 (physician; natural historian and botanist) 1
- Macadam, Stevenson, 1829-1901, chemist 1
- Natural History Society of Edinburgh 1
- Robb, Janet, fl 1890s (Edinburgh University(?) student) 1
- Robb, Susan, fl 1901 (Edinburgh University(?) student) 1
- Roxburgh, William, 1751-1815 (Botanist) 1
- Rutherford, Daniel, 1749-1819 (physician and botanist) 1
- Torrance, James B, 1923-2003 (theologian) 1
- Torrance, Thomas Forsyth, 1913-2007 (theologian, and Professor of Christian Dogmatics at New College, Edinburgh) 1
- University of Edinburgh, Natural History Collection. Natural History Collection (1697-1812) 1
- Walker, Alexander, 1764-1831, Brigadier General, Colonial Administrator in East India Company, Governor of St Helena 1
- Walker, John, 1731-1803 (professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh and clergyman) 1
- Watson, James R, fl 1890s (Edinburgh University student) 1 ∧ less