Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Scope and Contents Scrapbook entitled 'A Collection of pamphlets etc. on the Earldom of Mar' containing pamphlets, letters, reports, transcripts, and newspaper cuttings related to the controversy regarding the Earl of Mar title that took place during the years 1875-1885, opposing Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of Kellie, and John Francis Goodeve-Erskine, Earl of Mar. The texts collected in this scrapbook clearly defend the latter.The dispute spanned over 10 years, and was between Walter Henry Erskine, Earl of...
Scope and Contents The collection of Coltness Papers contains letters, family documents, commonplace books, accounts, historical and bioraphical manuscripts, and certificates dating mainly from the 17th-19th centuries, and relating to the Steuart family. See the box list fore more details.
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-372
Scope and Contents Correspondence Frederick Couper's testimonials Notes and documents relating to genealogy and family history Legal documents Photographs of Frederick Couper Bookkeeping notebook A substantial archive of original manuscript correspondence, documents, photographs and printed material relating to the...
Scope and Contents The papers consist of letters, notes, newspaper clippings, photographs, concert programmes and music scores mainly relating to Joseph Joachim. Most of the records date from the later part of his life and after his death. Other members of his family are mentioned too, in particular his wife Amalie Joachim and his nephew Harold Henry Joachim, as well as his grand-nieces Jelly d'Arányi and Adila Fachiri.The collection contains descriptions of Joseph Joachim’s character by his relatives,...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The papers are composed of an accumulation of manuscript letters to both Richard Bright and his son James Franck Bright and letters between other correspondents. The letters collected by the daughters of the Bright family include those from Roget, Lord Salisbury, Oscar Wilde, Sir Henry Rider Haggard, Elizabeth Fry, and Robert Browning and many other nineteenth century notables. The collection includes a manuscript fragment - or leaf - from the Origin of the...
Scope and Contents This fonds consists mostly of certificates, diplomas, letters, and official documents related to Sir William Turner (1832-1916), to his son William Aldren Turner (1864-1945), and his grandson John William Aldren Turner (1911-1980). It also includes documents related to John Aymers MacDougall (1844-1928), and a significant number of family photographs which seemingly belonged to Arthur Patrick Logan Turner (fl 1940s-1970s).
Scope and Contents Correspondence, diaries, legal documents, inventories, student notes, sermons, and business accounts relating to the members of the Anderson, Urquhart, and Graham families (all related). The material covers the 18th and 19th centuries and relates to subjects as varied as ironmongery, sea travel, study of humanities in the 1820s, preaching and sermons, school teaching, etc. This collection provides an excellent insight into the daily life in Edinburgh in the late 1700s and in the 1800s.
Scope and Contents Papers of four members of the Balfour-Melville family: Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, James Balfour-Melville of Strathkinness, John Whyte-Melville of Strathkinness, and Mary Louisa Dundas, later Mrs J. H. Balfour-Melville. 15 notebooks containing mainly lecture notes, essays, etc., that belonged to Evan Whyte Melville Balfour-Melville, ca 1910-1962. Diary of James Balfour-Melville of...
Content Description This fonds contains the papers of: Professor Alexander Christison FRSE (1751-1820), Professor of Humanity at the University of Edinburgh from 1806 to his death in 1820, father of Sir Robert Christison. Sir Robert Christison, 1st Baronet, FRSE FRCSE FRCPE (1797-1882), toxicologist and physician, father of Sir Alexander Christison (1828-1918). John Christison (1789-1862),...
Content Description Collection of six ornately decorated 18th-century manuscript documents relating to the Cochrane family of Scotland, including two marriage documents and four burgess tickets: Two documents relating to the marriage of William Cochrane and Agnes Carse, both dated 19 July 1706, Edinburgh: a marriage contract, listing over 400 points on which they pledged agreement, measuring 30 cm x 274 cm ; and a marriage...
- Subject: Family papers X
- Anderson (Edinburgh) 1
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Bright, James Franck, 1832-1920 (Master of University College, Oxford) 1
- Bright, Richard, 1789-1858 (Physician) 1
- Carse, Agnes, fl 1706 (wife of William Cochrane, Edinburgh) 1
- Christison, Robert, Sir, 1797-1882 (toxicologist and physician) 1
- Cochrane, James, fl 1700-1799 (Edinburgh printer) 1
- Cochrane, William, d before 1718 (Edinburgh writer ) 1
- Couper, Frederick, fl 1870s-1920s (Scottish marine engineer) 1
- Darwin, Charles Robert, 1809-1882 (Naturalist) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1712-1780 (3rd Baronet of Goodtrees and 7th Baronet of Coltness | economist | husband of Lady Frances Steuart (1722-1789)) 1
- Denham, Sir James Steuart, 1744-1839 (4th baronet of Goodtrees and 8th baronet of Coltness | British Army Officer) 1
- Fry, Elizabeth, 1780-1845 (English prison reformer and social reformer ) 1
- Graham (Edinburgh) 1
- Joachim, Joseph, 1831-1907 (violinist) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Steuart, Baronets (of Coltness) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1608-1681 (Lord Provost of Edinburgh) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1635-1713 (Lord Advocate of Scotland) 1
- Steuart, Sir James, 1681-1727 (Solicitor-General of Scotland) 1
- Urquhart (Perth) 1
- Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900 (Playwright, Novelist, Poet) 1 ∧ less