Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 23
Identifier: CSWC 33
Scope and Contents The collection consists of material relating to the mission in general and to the work in Congo, Peru, India, Nepal, and Kalimantan and Irian Jaya and includes: (1) minutes and reports produced in the mission offices in London and in the fields; (2) correspondence with missionaries in the field, with regional and national councils, with other missions operating in the same areas, and with other evangelical agencies; (3) publications and printed material including issues of the mission's journal...
Identifier: CSWC 41
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: (1) volume giving details of the missionaries and mission council in Rajputana, north-west India (1868-1976); (2) papers, reports and correspondence relating to the work in Calcutta in particular to the Scottish Churches Mission and educational work (1880-1930); (3) minutes of the Santal (Santhal) missionaries' committee (1950-1976); (4) minutes of the meetings of the Madras Christian College governing board in Edinburgh (1909-1949); (5) material relating to the...
Identifier: CSWC 47
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: (1) Lantern slides and glass plate negatives of: China (Charles Somerville collection, Dugald Christie); Africa (Malawi, Zambia, Kenya, Nigeria); India; and Jamaica. Most sets come with indexes and commentaries and date from late 19th century to early-mid twentieth century. (2) Slides (35 mm) of: Africa (Malawi, Zambia, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Sudan and Egypt); Far East (including Taiwan and Hong Kong); Holy Land; Middle East; India (including Western...
Identifier: CSWC 4
Scope and Contents The collection consists of three volumes which seem to date from after Hector's return from India but contain extracts from lectures given and hymns, songs and verses collected while he was there: (1) volume, similar to a commonplace book, with hymns, songs and verses noted by Hector, some translated by him from Bengali or French, and some other notes and newspaper articles (various dates); (2) extracts from Hector's lectures to his students in Calcutta (extracts written by Hector at a later...
Identifier: CSWC 3
Scope and Contents The collection consists mainly of letters from and articles about missionaries who knew Ross, who were connected with the Boy Scout Association or who were associated with Aberdeen. Much of the material was collected by Ross for use in his Sunday school classes, but some is more personal, many of the articles are cutting from Life and Work or other missionary publications, and there are some photographs. There is only a small amount on each...
Scope and Contents The manuscript volume of Oriya grammar and vocabulary has around 200pp. Some pages contain English translations with accompanying Oriya vocabulary. The translations are of tales and background to Orissa, while others are Biblical passages, and the Oriya vocabulary relates to these.
Identifier: CSWC 50
Scope and Contents The collection comprises the archives of Interserve Scotland. Minute books of the Indian Female Normal Schools and Instruction Society, Edinburgh Auxiliary , the Zenana Bible and Medical Mision, subsequently the Bible and Medical Missionary Fellowship and now Interserve from 1880-1975. Correspondence, papers and 73 lantern slides. The society was principally concerned with medical and educational work in Asia. The collection also includes society publications: ...
Scope and Contents 1 x Kaisar-i-Hind Gold Medal, George V - may be 1st variety, 1st class - together with 1 x example of the Miniature version of the Kaisar-i-Hind Gold Medal. Both are contained in a presentation case created by Garrard and Co. Ltd. of Albemarle St., London. Garrard was the Crown Jeweller charged with the upkeep of the British Crown Jewels, from 1843 to 2007.
Scope and Contents The collection consists of twenty-six microfiche copies of letters. The first three (1910-1920) are letters written by Lawrence Hogg in Scotland before he went to India and the last two (1921-1923) are letters of Caroline M. Dixon before she married. The remaining letters record the Hoggs' many encounters with missionaries and Indian Church leaders, Hogg's views on independence, the contacts the Hoggs had with relatives in India and Upper Egypt, and offer a portrait of Christian work in...
Content Description The ms and ts/printed items are: 1 x copy ts sheet 'Islam in India' [1961 statistics], 1p 1 x ts paper, untitled, but concerned with 'talks about Islam', and referring to 'four fortnightly evening meetings, sponsored jointly by the Student Christian Movement and the Islamic Cultural Centre ... held at the Student Movement House in London' , 7pp 1 x copy sheet 'Christian/Muslim Conversations. Summary of the Results',...
- Subject: India, X
- New College Library Special Collections 12
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 11
- Abercrombie, Sir Patrick, 1879-1957 (professor of town planning) 1
- Association of Building Technicians (1942-1970) 1
- Baillie, John B, fl 1876 (donor of the Oriental Manuscripts Collection) 1
- Baillie, John, of Leys, 1772-1833 (Professor of Arabic and Persian, Fort William College) 1
- Chitrakar, Gurupada, fl 2010 (artist) 1
- Church Missionary Society 1
- Commonwealth Human Ecology Council 1
- Congres Internationaux d'Architecture Moderne. Mars Group 1
- Coventry City Council, Coventry City Architect 's Department. Coventry City Architect's Department 1
- Cragg, Albert Kenneth, 1913-2012 (Assistant Bishop of Jerusalem) 1
- Elliot, Sir Walter, 1803-1887 (curator and archaeologist) 1
- Foreign Mission Committee the Church of Scotland 1
- Garrard & Co. Ltd., Albemarle St., London 1
- Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, 1908-1991 (architect and town planner) 1
- HM Government. Ministry of Town and Country Planning 1
- Housing Centre Trust 1
- Howarth, Toby Matthew, Bishop (Church of England) 1
- Hume, Andrew Crawford, d. 1970 (Veterinary Surgeon) 1
- Hume, Thomas, (1852-1890) (Surgeon) 1
- International Centre for Regional Planning and Development (1954-1960) 1
- International Society of City and Regional Planners (1965-:) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Percy, 1915-1993 (professor of urban design and regional planning, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Johnson-Marshall, Stirrat, 1912-1981 (architect) 1
- London County Council (1887-1965) 1
- Middlesex County Council (1888-1965) 1
- Modern Architectural Research Group 1
- Morton, Dr., Eric Veddon Bradshaw, fl. 1968 (Consultant) 1
- Muir, William, Sir, 1819-1905 (Scottish Orientalist) 1
- Percy Johnson-Marshall & Associates (1962-:) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Reilly | Sir | Charles Herbert, 1874-1948 (professor of architecture) 1
- Roxburgh, William, 1751-1815 (Botanist) 1
- Royal Institute of British Architects (1837-:) 1
- Royal Town Planning Institute (1914-:) 1
- School of Planning and Research for Regional Development (1940-1953) 1
- Service Arts and Technical Organization (1943-1946) 1
- Society for the Promotion of Urban Renewal (fl1950s) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- Tatton-Brown, William, fl1910-1986 (architect) 1
- United Free Church of Scotland Training College, Edinburgh 1
- United Free Church of Scotland (1900-1929) 1
- United Nations (1945-: |) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture, Planning Research Unit. Department of Architecture 1
- University of Edinburgh, Department of Architecture. Department of Architecture (1960-:) 1
- University of Liverpool (1881-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Department of Civic Design. Department of Civic Design (1909-:) 1
- University of Liverpool, Liverpool School of Architecture. Liverpool School of Architecture (1895-:) 1
- Willesden Borough Council 1 ∧ less