Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Contents The papers at MSS 3086-3090 consist of biographical notes on African and missionary colleagues dating from 1893; diaries from 1897 onwards; wayside and journey notes and jottings; extracts from newspapers; notes on folklore; letters; film strip showing pictures of missionary work; notebooks; and, correspondence with church ministers in Scotland. There are printed items, including the catechism and hymns in the Chitonga language; psalms in Tonga; dictionaries; the grammar of the Bemba language;...
Scope and Contents Autograph manuscript of MacBrair's 'sketch' of the grammar of the Foolah (or Foulah) language spoken by the pastoral Foulahs (or Fulani), the Teucorlars (or Tukulors) and the Laubies of the interior of Western Africa, bound together.
Scope and Contents The Sarolea collection has been preserved in 234 numbered files in 81 boxes. The collection covers the years 1897-1952 and relate to all of the Professor's various activities and interests. For convenience, it can be divided into four main divisions.Firstly, there are the Everyman papers relating to the weekly literary journal Everyman, his life, work and books with which Sarolea had an interest from 1914. Within the ...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Professor David Abercrombie held at Edinburgh University Library, Special Collections and Archives, consist of personal material such as documents and diaries etc, and material relating to his involvement in university or departmental administration; lecture and tutorial notes and other academic notes; material relating to areas of research; and, material relating to publications and broadcast talks. There is a great deal of correspondence, including personal and non-academic...
Scope and Contents The collection holds a 19th century Irish manuscript with covering letter dated 1884. There are a large number of letters and postcards spanning the years 1881 to 1916. The collection also consists of notebooks on archaeological, philological and linguistic topics; drawings of archaeological artefacts; bundles of studies forThe Pre- and Proto-Historic Finns; material on the tabulation of Finnish folk tales; printed items, notes, photographs of the Canary Islands; material including photographs,...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Professor James Robertson consist of notes on oriental languages.
Scope and Contents This fonds consists of the papers, lectures and correspondence of Professor John Orr, mainly relating to Romance linguistics. The correspondence includes 20 letters from the poet Jules Supervielle, dating from 1947-1955. The collection also includes 7 diplomas: Hon. Doct. University of Caen (1945); Officier de la Legion d'Honneur (1946); Encomienda de Alfonso x el Sabio (1953); Commandeur de la Legion d'Honneur (1955); LL.D, St Andrews University (1955); Hon. Doct. Paris University (1956);...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 11 unsorted boxes of papers which contain research notes (linguistics, ethonology and anthropology in South Arabia), bibliography notes, newspapers related to events in South Arabia, photocopies of Arabic manuscripts, typed notes on the political and military situation in Yemen during the 1960s (North Yemen Civil War). Papers relating to academic research, containing Serjeant’s own...
Scope and Contents The Papers of Robert Laws consist of notebooks and papers mainly relating to the work of the Livingstonia Mission in Nyasaland (now Malawi), including notebooks on African languages. There is correspondence and other papers and also printed items including translations from the Bible and grammars.
Scope and Contents The Carmichael-Watson Collection consists of papers belonging to the Reverend Alexander Cameron of Arran, Alexander Carmichael, civil servant and folklorist, Alexander MacBain of Inverness, and Professor William John Watson and his son James Carmichael Watson, along with books and papers belonging to the Reverend Charles Robertson of Jura, the Reverend Angus MacDonald, the Reverend Archibald MacDonald and the Reverend Father Allan McDonald of Eriskay. These include: invocations...
- Subject: Linguistics X
- Abercrombie, David, 1909-1992 (phonetician) 1
- Abercromby, John Abercromby, Baron, 1841-1924 1
- Abercromby, Ralph, 1842-1897 1
- Aberdeen University Celtic Society (1853-:) 1
- Benes, Edvard, 1884-1948 1
- Cameron, Rev Alexander, 1827-1888 (Free Church Minister) 1
- Carmichael, Alexander, 1832-1912 (excise officer, folklorist and antiquarian | Edinburgh | Scotland) 1
- Edinburgh Celtic Union (20th century) 1
- Gaelic Society of Inverness (1871-:) (cultural society) 1
- Glasgow University Ossianic Society (1831-:) 1
- Greene, Anthony Hamilton Millard Kirk-, 1925-2018 (British historian) 1
- Highland Home Industries Ltd (fl. 1937) 1
- Kraft, Charles H, b 1932 (American anthropologist and linguist) 1
- Laws, Amelia Nyasa, 1886-1978 (medical practitioner) 1
- Laws, Robert, 1851-1934 (Scottish missionary) 1
- MacBain, Alexander, 1855-1914 (Celtic Scholar) 1
- MacBrair, Robert Maxwell, fl 1836-1843 1
- Macalpine, Alexander Gillon, 1869-1957 1
- Macleod, Kenneth, 1871-1955 (Church of Scotland minister and folklorist) 1
- Masaryk, Jan, 1886-1948 1
- Orr, John, 1885-1966 (Professor of French) 1
- Roberston, James, 1714-1795 (Scottish orientalist) 1
- Robertson, Charles, 1864-1927 (Reverend) 1
- Sarolea, Charles, 1870-1953 (Professor of French and Romance Philology, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Serjeant, Marion, d 2013 (Edinburgh-based doctor, wife of Robert Serjeant) 1
- Serjeant, Robert Bertram, 1915-1993 (Professor of Arabic, Cambridge) 1
- Supervielle, Jules, 1884-1960 (Franco-Uruguyan poet) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- Watson, Elizabeth Catherine, 1880-1928 1
- Watson, James Carmichael, 1910-1942 (Professor of Celtic) 1
- Watson, William John, 1865-1948 (Professor of Celtic) 1 ∧ less