Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Scope and Contents The Colin Campbell Collection contains Gaelic verse, mainly songs; sermon notes and scripture expositions, the earliest being 1703; manuscript treatises; Colin Campbell correspondence, the earliest being 1664; miscellaneous manuscripts including domestic accounts, medical papers, minutes etc; notebooks, accounts, letters and scraps of Patrick Campbell of Achnaba; letters from mathematicians to Colin Campbell, and mathematical papers; a body of accounts, the earliest being 1553; a body of...
Fonds — Volume: Dk.7.29
Scope and Contents Volume entitled Buchananus De Sphaera: George Buchanan, with commentary by Adam King, covering key aspects of mathematical, natural philosophical, and astronomical knowledge from antiquity to the early modern period, from the Christian West and the Islamicate and pre-Islamic East, and from Copernicus to Galileo and Kepler. Bound with this is a second manuscript containing poetry by King.
Scope and Contents The correspondence is composed of:- E97.57 - a collection of letters (11), typescript and manuscript, and some notes on calculations, relating to investigations into Aitken's abilities as a mental calculator, dating from 6 December 1960 to 7 December 1961, from Aitken (on either paper headed with Mathematical Institute, Chambers Street, Edinburgh; or, private address on Primrosebank Road, Edinburgh) to Hunter (Department of Psychology). E97.58 - a collection of letters...
Fonds — Volume: Dc.6.12
Scope and Contents Volume consists of teaching material originally produced by David Gregory, here transcribed with numerous drawings by Francis Pringle in Oxford in 1694-1695 and George Wood in St Andrews 1705. The volume's index is in Gregory's hand. The lectures, all by Gregory, are the Institutiones Astronomiae, the Oxford address on professional education he called De Ratione Studii Mathematici Consilium, the Lectiones Opticae, Trigonometria Planorum Angulorum, Geometria Practica, Geometriae de Motu, and the...
Scope and Contents The manuscript forming the collection looks at Some principles of arithmetique containing all the parts thereof and the severall ways of working. The manuscript includes three parts: mathematics, law and astronomy. The notes and the exlibris inscription suggest that this volume, which is bound in contemporary calf, was the work of William Baird of Dysart - 'Ex libris Gulielmi Baird'. The first part, titled 'Some principles of arithmetique...
Scope and Contents The papers of David Gregory consist of: bound manuscripts of mathematical and personal papers by both David Gregory and James Gregory bound manuscripts Lectiones Mechanicae Sive Geometria de Motu parts 1-4 (1689-1690) bound manuscripts of treatises on mathematics and astronomy (1683-1694) bound manuscripts Notae in...
Scope and Contents Biographical and personal papers, c mid 19th century-1972; Publications authored and co-authored by Thomson, 1904-1954; Unpublished materials by Thomson, 1897-1954; Publications collected by Thomson regarding education, intelligence, psychology, and statistics, 1879-1971 Unpublished material collected by Thomson and authored by others, c mid 20th...
Scope and Contents The collections is composed of autobiographical, biographical, memoir, and obituary material relating to Professor A. C. Aitken; war souvenirs and maps; correspondence relating to Aitken's publication From Gallipoli to the Somme; review material relating to From Gallipoli to the Somme; circa 20 photographs, both portrait and group; 3 commonplace (scrap-)books containing cuttings and newspaper articles on a variety of subjects -...
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-667
Scope and Contents The collection largely consists of letters from Godfrey Thomson to Ledermann. Many are highly mathematical in content, containing formulae and mathematical notation, though they also regard social events and contain enquiries from Thomson with regards to the safety of Ledermann's family throughout the war.
Scope and Contents The papers consist of elements of mathematics containing the first six books of Euclid, and lectures on logic by Professor J. Finlayson, taken down by Pollock in 1796-1797, and observations on medical jurisprudence delivered in lectures by Professor A. Duncan, 1797-1798.
- Subject: Mathematics X
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 4
- Gregory, James, 1638-1675 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh) 3
- Gregory, David, 1659-1708 (professor of mathematics, University of Edinburgh, and Savilian Professor of Astronomy, University of Oxford) 2
- Lawley, Derrick, 1915-2012 (statistician) 2
- Thomson, Godfrey Hilton, Sir, 1881-1955 (psychologist and Bell Professor of Education, University of Edinburgh) 2
- Armstrong College (University of Durham). Durham College of Science (1871 -) 1
- Baird, William, fl. 1670-1680 ('of Dysart') 1
- Bartlett, Frederic Charles, Sir, 1886-1969 (professor of experimental psychology) 1
- Bartlett, Maurice Stevenson, 1910-2002 (statistician) 1
- Buchanan, George, 1506-1582 (Scottish expatriate, historian and scholar, anti-absolutist and satyrist of clerical vice) 1
- Burt, Cyril Lodowic, Sir, 1883-1971 (educational psychologist) 1
- Campbell, Colin, 1644-1726 1
- Duff, James Fitzjames, Sir, 1898?1970 (educationist and academic administrator) 1
- Edinburgh Provincial Training Centre (1907-1959) 1
- Emmett, William B, fl mid 20th century (psychologist) 1
- Fisher, Ronald Aylmer, 1890-1962 (English statistician, evolutionary biologist, geneticist, and eugenicist) 1
- Flamsteed, John (first Astronomer Royal) 1
- George, Prince of Denmark, 1653-1708 (Prince of Denmark) 1
- Gregory, Georgina, 1811-1877 1
- Hotelling, Harold, 1895-1973 (mathematician) 1
- Hunter, Ian M. L, Emeritus Professor, d. 2004 (professor of psychology) 1
- Kelley, Truman Lee, 1884-1961 (psychometrician, statistician) 1
- King, Adam, c1560-c1625 (Scottish polymath) 1
- King, William, fl17th century (Regent, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Ledermann, Walter (1911-2009) 1
- Ledermann, Walter (Mathematician) 1
- MacLaurin, Colin, 1698-1746 (mathematician) 1
- Marischal College (1593-1858) 1
- Moray House College of Education (1959-1991) 1
- Newton, Isaac, Sir, 1642-1727 1
- Newton, Sir Isaac, 1642-1727 (mathematician and astronomer) 1
- Pollock, David, fl 1796-1797 (science student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Pringle, Francis, fl1705 (physician and professor of Greek, University of St Andrews) 1
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (1681-:) 1
- Royal Society (c1645-:) (scientific society) 1
- Scottish Council for Research in Education (fl. 1928-2003) 1
- Sutherland, John D., Dr., 1905-1991 (lecturer, psychologist and psychoanalyst) 1
- Thomson, Hector, 1917-2008 (senior lecturer of ancient and modern Greek, University of Aberdeen) 1
- Thomson, Jane, Lady, fl. 1890-1971 1
- Thurstone, Louis Leon, 1887-1955 (psychometrician) 1
- University of Durham (1832-:) 1
- University of Oxford, Balliol College. Balliol College (1263-:) 1
- William, Duke of Gloucester, 1689-1700 (son of Prince George of Denmark) 1
- Wood, George, fl1705 1 ∧ less