Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents Seventeen volumes of lectures notes by Victor Field Usher, a medical student at the University of Edinburgh in 1902-1907, who became the first physician to introduce Arsphenamine (the first effective treatment for syphilis, developed by Prof. Paul Ehrlich) to the UK. The fonds includes: Three volumes entitled Practice of Medicine - Gibson, Philip & Bruce containing notes and...
Class cards, tickets, and letters of testimonial of John Brown, Thomas S. Brown and William B. Clark
Scope and Contents The material spans 1824 to 1835. There is one class card in the name of William B. Clark. In addition there is a printed document dated 27 April 1831 and published by the Royal College of Surgeons in London which notes the regulations respecting the professional education of candidates for the College's diploma. There are 34 cards and tickets relating to John Brown and his study path. There are 21 cards and tickets relating to Thomas S. Brown, including one of which is an Edinburgh Academy card...
Scope and Contents This is the manuscript diary of James nicol (1810-1879), an Edinburgh University student in medicine and natural history, who would later become a geologist and Professor of Natural history at the University of Aberdeen. The journal was written between the 10th of October 1840, to the 21st of March 1841, when he attended the Winter Session at Berlin University. Enclosed in the volume are typed notes, giving a rather detailed index of the diary's contents. In his journal, James Nicol describes...
Manuscript entitled "An Enquiry into the Elements of General Therapeutics, with Special Illustrations, to which is prefixed an Essay on the Nature Value and Utility of Theory" by Robert Abraham
Collection — Box: CLX-A-1592
Content Description This is a manuscript on medicine and drugs written by Robert Abraham in 1825 in Carlisle and London.This manuscript comprises three sections, each including an index: Part First. "An Essay on the Nature, Value, and Utility of Theory", starting a few pages before p. 1; Part Second. "An Enquiry &c.' into the nature of narcotics, hypnotics, sleep, coma, mania, & idiocy",...
Scope and Contents The collection comprises an Edinburgh University medal (bronze) awarded to Charles A. Anderson session 1888-1889, for the Senior Surgery class. The medal is mounted in a small case (Alex'r Kirkwood and Son, Medalists, 9 St. James Square, Edinburgh).
Fonds — Box: CLX-A-346
Content Description This fonds consists of medals awarded to Emily Charlotte Thomson and Alexander Thomson , as well as one photograph depicting Emily Charlotte Thomson. Five medals of Alexander Thomson from the University of Edinburgh, in: chemistry (1886-87), practical physiology (1887-88), natural history (1887), Institute of Medicine (1887-88), and a blank one on the same model. Three medals of Emily Charlotte...
Scope and Contents Edinburgh University medical lecture notes taken down by T. L. Kennish, c 1880s.
Scope and Contents Three volumes of notes of lectures given by Charles Alston, entitled 'A treatise on the materia medica ... from the lectures of Charles Alston, M.D., Fellow of the College of Physicians and Professor of Botany at Edinburgh. 1733'. 183 x 165 mm, rebound. They bear the armorial bookplate of Alexander Russell, M.D. It is possible that this is the Alexander Russell that studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh, and graduated in 1779.
Notes of lectures given by Sir Alexander Russell Simpson and Sir Thomas Grainger Stewart, taken down by Kenneth R. Brown
Scope and Contents Notebooks containing lecture notes taken down by Kenneth R. Brown in 1885-1887, bearing his bookplate. Notes on lectures given by Sir Thomas Grainger Stewart. 'Lectures on the Practice of Physic'. Edinburgh University, 1885-1886, 2 vols. Notes on lectures given by Sir Alexander Russell Simpson. Lectures on midwifery, and lectures on gynaecology. Edinburgh University, 1886-1887. ...
Scope and Contents Notebook containing notes of lectures on anatomy given by Prof. John Goodsir, taken down by Arthur Pearse (M.D., 1859) at the University of Edinburgh in 1855-1856. Volume 2 only.
- Subject: Medical students X
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 17
- Lothian Health Services Archive 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 3
- Abraham, Robert, fl 1823-1825 (Physician, journalist and lawyer; University of Edinburgh alumnus) 1
- Adams, William, fl. 1797-1799 (medical student at Edinburgh University) 1
- Alston, Charles, 1683-1760 (physician and botanist) 1
- Anderson, Charles A., fl. 1888-1934 (surgeon) 1
- Bickersteth, Robert (surgeon at Liverpool Royal Infirmary) 1
- Brown, John, fl. 1824-1834, General Practioner 1
- Brown, Kenneth R, fl 1880s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Brown, Thomas S., fl. 1828-1835, General Practitioner 1
- Cabbell, J, fl 1750s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Caird, Francis Mitchell, 1853-1926 (Scottish surgeon, Regius Professor of Clinical Surgery at the University of Edinburgh) 1
- Chiene, John, 1843-1923 (Scottish surgeon, Professor of Surgery at the University of Edinburgh ) 1
- Clark, William B., fl. 1820s, Minister 1
- Coghill, Agnes Irene Sinclair, c 1875-1904 (medical student; University of Edinburgh) 1
- Coghill, John George Sinclair, 1834-1919 (Physician) 1
- Dickson, William Elliot Carnegie, 1878-1954 (Scottish physician) 1
- Goodsir, John, Professor, 1814-1867 (professor of anatomy Edinburgh University | Edinburgh) 1
- Haultain, Francis William Nicol, 1861-1921 (Gynaecologist and obstetrician) 1
- Kennish, T L, fl 1880s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Mackay, George, 1861-1949 (British ophthalmic surgeon) 1
- Monro, Alexander, 'primus', 1697-1767 (Professor of Anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- NHS Education for Scotland 1
- Pearse, Arthur, fl 1850s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Potter (née Ross), Elizabeth Mackay, Dr., 1924-1979 (physician) 1
- Potter, Jacobus Louw, Dr. (physician, scientist) 1
- Russell, Alexander, fl 1770s-1780s (medical student, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Rutherford, John, 1695-1779 (Professor of Medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Schofield, Anne Dollar, 1921-2015 (née Davies | Physician) 1
- Simpson, Sir Alexander Russell, 1835-1916 (professor of midwifery, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Stewart, Sir Thomas Grainger, 1837-1900 (Physician, President of the BMA) 1
- Stiles, Sir Harold Jalland, 1863-1946 (British surgeon) 1
- Thomson, Alexander, fl 1880s (doctor, Edinburgh University medical student) 1
- Thomson, Emily Charlotte, 1864-1955 (doctor; medical officer to Dundee Women's Hospital) 1
- Usher, Victor Field, 1880-1952 (physician, medical alumnus of Edinburgh University) 1
- Woodcock, Alexander, fl. 1832-1846 (student at Edinburgh University) 1 ∧ less