Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 68
Scope and Contents The papers at MSS 3086-3090 consist of biographical notes on African and missionary colleagues dating from 1893; diaries from 1897 onwards; wayside and journey notes and jottings; extracts from newspapers; notes on folklore; letters; film strip showing pictures of missionary work; notebooks; and, correspondence with church ministers in Scotland. There are printed items, including the catechism and hymns in the Chitonga language; psalms in Tonga; dictionaries; the grammar of the Bemba language;...
Scope and Contents The archive is composed of: in Box 1, applications for admissions, miscellaneous materials and documents, and material on endowments; in Box 2, material on the William Smith Bursary, the John Wemyss Bursary, the Baxter Scholarship, the Whitelaw Scholarship, the Agnes Bowie Bursary, and legal documents concerning Inverleith Road, Edinburgh, and Lochend Road, Edinburgh; in Box 3, material relating to the John Pillans Bursary, the John Sutherland Bursary, the James Smith Prize, the Ferguson Prize,...
Identifier: CSWC 33
Scope and Contents The collection consists of material relating to the mission in general and to the work in Congo, Peru, India, Nepal, and Kalimantan and Irian Jaya and includes: (1) minutes and reports produced in the mission offices in London and in the fields; (2) correspondence with missionaries in the field, with regional and national councils, with other missions operating in the same areas, and with other evangelical agencies; (3) publications and printed material including issues of the mission's journal...
Identifier: CSWC 40
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: some early material relating to the mission in Manchuria including letters from John Ross (1870) and a memoir by Ethel Omelvena (1957); Moukden Medical College annual statements (1911-1948); material relating to the mission after the Second World War including extracts from minutes and reports and circular letters from missionaries (1946-1968); reports on visits to China (1980s); photographs of Manchuria, the mission and church (c 1910-1940s); maps and plans; Chinese...
Identifier: CSWC 41
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: (1) volume giving details of the missionaries and mission council in Rajputana, north-west India (1868-1976); (2) papers, reports and correspondence relating to the work in Calcutta in particular to the Scottish Churches Mission and educational work (1880-1930); (3) minutes of the Santal (Santhal) missionaries' committee (1950-1976); (4) minutes of the meetings of the Madras Christian College governing board in Edinburgh (1909-1949); (5) material relating to the...
Identifier: CSWC 47
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: (1) Lantern slides and glass plate negatives of: China (Charles Somerville collection, Dugald Christie); Africa (Malawi, Zambia, Kenya, Nigeria); India; and Jamaica. Most sets come with indexes and commentaries and date from late 19th century to early-mid twentieth century. (2) Slides (35 mm) of: Africa (Malawi, Zambia, Kenya, Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Sudan and Egypt); Far East (including Taiwan and Hong Kong); Holy Land; Middle East; India (including Western...
Identifier: CSWC 26
Scope and Contents The collection consists of black and white and coloured slides and lantern slides relating to China, Taiwan, Malaya, the Philippines and Japan and to the China Inland Mission. The slides show a wide variety of town and country scenes, and images of people and places, festivals and occupations, religion, and church and mission work. There is a complete index listing each slide.
(574 slides plus indexes)
(574 slides plus indexes)
Identifier: CSWC 4
Scope and Contents The collection consists of three volumes which seem to date from after Hector's return from India but contain extracts from lectures given and hymns, songs and verses collected while he was there: (1) volume, similar to a commonplace book, with hymns, songs and verses noted by Hector, some translated by him from Bengali or French, and some other notes and newspaper articles (various dates); (2) extracts from Hector's lectures to his students in Calcutta (extracts written by Hector at a later...
Identifier: CSWC 3
Scope and Contents The collection consists mainly of letters from and articles about missionaries who knew Ross, who were connected with the Boy Scout Association or who were associated with Aberdeen. Much of the material was collected by Ross for use in his Sunday school classes, but some is more personal, many of the articles are cutting from Life and Work or other missionary publications, and there are some photographs. There is only a small amount on each...
Identifier: CSWC 19
Scope and Contents The collection consists of: material relating to Chinese phonetics including 'alphabet blocks' and the New Testament in Chinese phonetic script (c 1920s); some further items relating to the Mackenzies' time in Manchuria, these are mainly artefacts or printed reports and pamphlets (1920s-1951); a small amount of correspondence about and reports on the mission including correspondence with Chinese Christians from the 1960s; lecture and other notes by Ellie Mackenzie on theological and mission...
- Subject: Missionaries X
- New College Library Special Collections 53
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 14
- Lothian Health Services Archive 1
- Oldham, Joseph Houldsworth, 1874-1969 (missionary and ecumenist) 3
- Church Missionary Society 2
- Arthur, John William, 1881-1952, Medical Missionary in Kenya 1
- Barlow, Arthur Ruffell, 1888-1965 (Scottish Missionary) 1
- Booth-Clibborn, Stanley Eric Francis, 1924-1996, Church Missionary Society missionary, Bishop of Manchester 1
- Church of Scotland 1
- Drake, Frederick Seguier, 1892-1974 (English Baptist priest; Dean of the School of Chinese, University of Hong Kong) 1
- Foreign Mission Committee the Church of Scotland 1
- Freshwater, Nancy (Annie), 1874-1959, Wife of Missionary 1
- Freshwater, Will, 1872-1936, Missionary 1
- Harrison, Eleanor Jane, 1872-1930 (Missionary in China) 1
- Hitchcock, Maud, b 1882 (née Sinclair | missionary in China) 1
- Hutton, Elizabeth 1
- Laws, Amelia Nyasa, 1886-1978 (medical practitioner) 1
- Laws, Robert, 1851-1934 (Scottish missionary) 1
- London Missionary Society 1
- MacBrair, Robert Maxwell, fl 1836-1843 1
- Macalpine, Alexander Gillon, 1869-1957 1
- Mackenzie, Kenneth, 1920-1971 1
- Marwick, William Hutton, 1863-1940, Scottish Missionary 1
- Moffat, Robert, 1795-1883, Scottish Missionary 1
- Scott, David Clement Ruffell, 1853-1907, Scottish Missionary 1
- Taylor, Helen M., fl.1933-1963 (Church of Scotland Missionary) 1
- United Free Church of Scotland (1900-1929) 1 ∧ less