Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 14
Scope and Contents An index at the beginning of this substantial volume of clinical case notes lists 28 women and 31 men with their symptoms and treatment recorded in manuscript notes over more than 600 pages. The manuscript offers much information on the methods of these two leading 18th century Scottish physicians.
Scope and Contents Edinburgh Local Medical Committee 1947-1975; Lothian Local Medical Committee and General Practice Sub-Committee of Lothian Area Medical Committee 1953-1990; related papers 1946-1984
Found in: Lothian Health Services Archive
Fonds — Container: CLX-A-1582
Content Description This collection contains two sets of material:1. Letters to Dr. Lonsdale, of Rosehill, Carlisle, and addressed variously to: Cumberland Infirmary; Marine Crescent, Waterloo, Liverpool; Playhouse Yard, Thomas Street, Scarbro'; and, Teviot Row, Edinburgh. The letters show that he was assembling information with a view to overseeing a biography of his mentor, John Reid. The collection of letters contains material which would have formed the core of such a work which never came to...
Scope and Contents Birth certificate of J. M. MacGregor 1863; certificates 1881-1895; correspondence 1893-1897; photocopies of newspaper reports of death 1906; photographs; prints of watercolours
Found in: Lothian Health Services Archive
Scope and Contents The manuscript volume - ink on paper - is titled on the spine Fordyce on inflammations. It may have been copied in 1807, which is after Fordyce's death in 1802. The content includes much on venereal disease and other headings include 'hooping cough', 'angina', inflammation of the lungs', 'inflammation of the intestines', 'inflammation of the substances of the liver', 'inflammation of the womb', 'on the causes of cold', 'on catarrh', 'sore throat attended...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of: a set of surgical instruments (incomplete) in a presentation case with inscription: Edinburgh School of Medicine / Surgery 1877-78 / John Chiene, Lecturer / J. Griffith Macaskie a Bronze Medal, School of Medicine, Edinburgh, awarded to James G. Macaskie 1874-75, Second Prize, Institutes of Medicine or Physiology, Dr. J. Bell Pettigrew, Lecturer ...
Scope and Contents A bound collection of pamphlets and off-prints, mostly on botanical subjects, which contain working notes of John Lowe and some watercolours which may be his too. There is a MS table of contents which lists nearly all the items but not in the order they are bound. The MS additions include: details of dated sightings, with place, to 'Bennett Notes on Norfolk plants'; and, MS notes of commentaries on the works. There is an autograph letter, 10 December 1898, from H.E. Brown of the...
Material relating to Tours of Duty with Colonial Medical Service, in Sierra Leone and Solomon Islands
Scope and Contents The main body of the collection is correspondence from Dr. James D. Macgregor to his family in Scotland (but also to/from others) from both Sierra Leone and the Solomon Islands. The letters are largely in aerogramme form but there are also letters in conventional form with the original stamped and franked envelopes, as well as illustrative postcards and occasional ephemera. The content of the correspondence is largely descriptive of the locations and the work involved there, and to a degree...
Scope and Contents This volume of notes is based on Monro's surgical lectures at Edinburgh Medical School, 1774-1775. The manuscript lectures are sub-headed Lectures 1-13 and are in two distinct hands - the first two lectures in one, and the rest in another. The paper is watermarked with a crown and the initials GR, undated, but this L.V.Gerrevink paper commonly used throughout much of the 18th century. Both hands are clear and legible, with just a few corrections, and occasional additions written on the verso of...
Scope and Contents The notes taken down into this small bound pocket note-book of 131 handwritten pages are believed to have formed part of the Guy's lecture series - 'Elements in the Practice of Physic'. One of the early pages bears the inscription 'John Bethell, Lincoln's Inn Field' but it isn't clear if this was the same individual who took the notes or someone who subsequently owned them. The volume may be particularly important in that the contents significantly pre-date - when compared - the...
- Subject: Physicians X
- Edinburgh University Library Special Collections 12
- Lothian Health Services Archive 2
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 3
- Alston, Charles, 1683-1760 (physician and botanist) 1
- Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain, 1926- 1
- Fordyce, George, 1736-1802 (physician) 1
- Gregory, James, 1753-1821 (professor of medicine, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Jex-Blake, Sophia Louisa, 1840-1912 (medical practitioner, reformer and suffragette) 1
- Lonsdale, Henry, 1816-1876 (Edinburgh University alumnus; physician) 1
- Lowe, John, Dr., 1830-1902 (physician; natural historian and botanist) 1
- Macaskie, James Griffith, Dr, 1856-1945 (general practitioner) 1
- Macgregor, Dr., James D., b. 1927 (Senior Medical Officer for Colonial Medical Service, Chief Medical Officer with Shetland Health Board, District Medical Officer with Tayside Health Board) 1
- Mackenzie, James, Sir, 1853-1925 1
- Monro, Alexander, 1733-1817 (professor of anatomy, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Orient Steam Navigation Company, ltd. 1
- Oronsay (Ship) 1
- Penfold, Dr., Thomas Cunningham, 1872-1935 (Medical Officer of Health) 1
- Potter (née Ross), Elizabeth Mackay, Dr., 1924-1979 (physician) 1
- Potter, Jacobus Louw, Dr. (physician, scientist) 1
- Rutherford, Daniel, 1749-1819 (physician and botanist) 1
- Saunders, William, 1743-1817 (physician) 1
- Vigor, North, fl. 1745-1758 1 ∧ less