Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Scope and Contents This collection is composed of effects that belonged to Henry Craven St John, a young Lieutenant (later Commander, then Admiral) who brilliantly fought against pirates in the Chinese Seas in the 1860s. It includes: a presentation scroll to Commander Henry Craven St John, conveying thanks for his fighting piracy at Laksui (1866); a covering letter from the Admiralty (1866); a mahogany and brass-fitted medicine box (1860s); and an album of c. 300 watercolours executed by Henry Craven St John,...
Scope and Contents The 'passport' letters written in Arabic are numbered in pencil and have been identified tentatively (in 1987, by a member of the Dept. of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies) as follows: - Letter 1: Open letter addressed to a local notable and headman requesting them to afford the bearer every assistance in the course of the journey. Signed by a Russian official, and bearing a Russian seal-stamp. ...
Scope and Contents The collection of menu cards for dinner, lunch, and breakfast aboard the liner 'Empress of Britain'is composed of: a pair of dinner menu cards for Gala Night, 16 September 1961; dinner menu card for 18 September 1961 showing Kirkcudbright, Scotland, on cover; a pair of dinner menu cards for 25 August 1963 with locomotive 'Rocket' on cover; dinner menu card for 26 August 1963 with stern of man-of-war on cover; dinner menu card for 27 August 1963 with balloon 'La Minerve' on cover; dinner menu...
Scope and Contents This is the manuscript diary of James nicol (1810-1879), an Edinburgh University student in medicine and natural history, who would later become a geologist and Professor of Natural history at the University of Aberdeen. The journal was written between the 10th of October 1840, to the 21st of March 1841, when he attended the Winter Session at Berlin University. Enclosed in the volume are typed notes, giving a rather detailed index of the diary's contents. In his journal, James Nicol describes...
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of three bound volumes being Sir John Fraser's journal of a tour made around the world in 1935. Each volume contains many pages of black and white photographs along with pages of typescript text describing the journey. The first entry in the journal is dated Tuesday 22 January 1935 and describes the Langholm Hotel and the start of the journey to Southampton to catch the ship (RMS 'Aquitania') bound for New York. A journey across the USA by train followed,...
Journal of European tour, 1889-1890, undertaken by Harry Lindsay Somerled MacDonald and Lilian Margaret Coke
Scope and Contents The journal is in the form of a folio notebook, 69pp with additional blank pages. Original marbled wrappers. It is a diary covering two journeys abroad. The first journey began in December 1889 and took Harry Lindsay Somerled MacDonald and Lilian Margaret Coke on a trip from London to Paris, Marseilles, Corsica, Algiers, Cannes, Nice, Genoa, Rome, Naples, Palermo, again Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, over the Allps, Zurich, heidelberg, Brussels, and back to London on 2 July 1890. The second...
Scope and Contents Notebooks containing manuscript notes by James Dennistoun, on 'The Baths of La Battaglia & Neighbourhood', that is to say the saline springs of Battaglia Terme, in the region of Padua, Italy. It also contains a loose note entitled 'Note as to Petrarch's cat mummy at Arqua'.Contents of the notebooks, as described in a typed note at the beginning:- Description of the Baths, pp. 1-31- Description of places in neighbourhood, pp. 31-85- Ingredient & Efficacy of Springs,...
Scope and Contents Drafts and collect reading material connected to Jameson's literary output, manuscripts submitted for publication in his journal, and travel write-ups and observational notebooks.
Scope and Contents The manuscript material is composed of files of research including: travel in medieval Scotland; travel pre-1600; royal pilgrimages; pilgrims and hospitals; 16th century travellers; roads; bridges; ferries; early maps; James VI visit; coaching and stage-coaches; turnpike roads; 17th and 18th century travellers; mountains; Wade and Highland roads; 19th century travellers; mail coaches; smacks and steamers; and, railways.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of 11 unsorted boxes of papers which contain research notes (linguistics, ethonology and anthropology in South Arabia), bibliography notes, newspapers related to events in South Arabia, photocopies of Arabic manuscripts, typed notes on the political and military situation in Yemen during the 1960s (North Yemen Civil War). Papers relating to academic research, containing Serjeant’s own...
- Subject: Travel X
- Balfour-Melville, Evan Whyte Melville, 1887-1963 (Senior lecturer in history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Ballantyne, Robert Michael, 1825-1894 (Scottish writer) 1
- British Medical Association 1
- Campbell, James, 1789-1861 (minister of Traquair) 1
- Campbell, William, 1755-1829 1
- Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. 1
- Dennistoun, James, 1803-1855 (Scottish advocate, antiquary and art collector) 1
- Empress of Britain (Steamship) 1
- Fraser, John R, d 1961 (Glaciologist, Imperial College, and Edinburgh University graduate) 1
- Fraser, John, Sir, 1885-1947 (principal of Edinburgh University and surgeon) 1
- Freshwater, Nancy (Annie), 1874-1959, Wife of Missionary 1
- Freshwater, Will, 1872-1936, Missionary 1
- Halley, Katie, fl 1866-1881 1
- Harman, Nathaniel Bishop-, fl 1890-1935 (physician) 1
- Isaac, Verna, fl. 1961 (passenger on 'Empress of Britain') 1
- Jameson, Robert, 1774-1854 (geologist and professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- John, Henry Craven St, 1837-1909 (Royal Navy Officer) 1
- London Missionary Society 1
- MacDonald, Harry Lindsay Somerled, 1861-1936 (cricketer) 1
- MacDonald, William Donald, 1827-1862 (lieutenant-colonel 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot) 1
- Melville, James Balfour, of Strathkinness, 1815-1897 1
- Melville, John Whyte, of Bennochie and Strathkinness, c 1797-1883 1
- Melville, Mary Louisa Balfour-, d 1930 (née Dundas) 1
- Moir, Donald Grant, 1902-1986, Writer on Scottish roads, Geographer 1
- Petrarch, 1304-1374 (Italian scholar and poet) 1
- Pilcher, Percy, 1866-1899 (British aviation pioneer) 1
- Serjeant, Marion, d 2013 (Edinburgh-based doctor, wife of Robert Serjeant) 1
- Serjeant, Robert Bertram, 1915-1993 (Professor of Arabic, Cambridge) 1
- Stewart, William Burton-, 1872-1936 (Scottish solider and politician) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Padua (1222-) (Italian University) 1 ∧ less