Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Scope and Contents 24 pen and ink drawings of quadrupeds, birds, fish, reptiles and insects by James Tait Black. There are two suites of work (1840 and 1841) with the same title but with a different set of 12 illustrations. The bindings of the two sets are in very poor condition. The illustrations from the 1840 suite, one of which is coloured, are: The elephant The tiger The gnu ...
Scope and Contents Book on entomology entitled 'Collecting days, no 3', by William E Sharp, created between 1909 and 1918.
Scope and Contents The material in the collection consists of: - at E94.90: a letter from Charles Wyville Thomson written on 2 June 1850 at the home of the Reverend Ainslie and addressed to 'My Dear Sir' - it refers to how he had met with a kind reception from Mr. and Mrs. Ainslie who 'pressed him to dine with them and to take a bed at their home', and how the following day they were to take him to Sir David Brewster's - the...
Scope and Contents [to be completed]
Scope and Contents Papers are sorted in box files by subject, on the following topics:- Ryder's book 'Sheep and Man', including original illustrations and correspondence (15 box files); textiles and weaving (3 box files); - Sheep and wool in the Mediterranean, Central Europe and the Middle East (3 box files); - Skin biology, wool and other animal hair, wool colour (7 box files); - St Kilda, Orkney and Shetland sheep (2 box files); - Archaeological textiles, clothing, rugs and carpets (4...
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents The collection consists of papers, notebooks of courses taken at Owens College, Manchester, 1892-1895, and diaries of visits to, for example Australia for meetings of the British Association, June-October 1914, and to Canada, USA, Cuba and Panama.
Scope and Contents The collection is composed of a number of certificates and other documents marking moments in Hutchinson's life and career, including: birth certificate and death certificate; baptismal certificate dated 26 December 1915; letter of award of scholarship to Houghton-le-Spring, 20 June 1927; confirmation card in the name of Hutchinson, dated 5 June 1929; school certificate, July 1931, showing passes with credit in English Literature, History, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry and...
Scope and Contents The Papers of William Speirs Bruce consist of a substantial number of manuscripts and ephemera including pamphlets; notes and notebooks; annotated typescripts; annotated offprints; picture postcards; photographs; examination papers; sketch maps; diaries; press cuttings; correspondence; lists of specimens; book catalogues; soundings; lecture engagements; lectures; and, maps. The Papers handle a wide variety of subjects including the 'Balaena', fish and fisheries, Franz Josef Land, the...
- Subject: Zoology X
- Adam and Charles Black (1815-:) (Publishers) 1
- Agriculture Society of Edinburgh 1
- Ashworth, James Hartley, 1874-1936 (professor of zoology and later of natural history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- Black, James Tait, publisher, 1826-1911 1
- Bruce, William Speirs, 1867-1921 (polar explorer and oceanographer) 1
- Cronstedt, Axel Fredrik, 1722-1765 (Swedish chemist) 1
- Cullen, William, 1710-1790 (chemist and mettalurgist) 1
- Geddes, Sir Patrick, 1854-1932 (biologist, sociologist, educationist and town planner) 1
- Highland Society of Scotland 1
- Home, Henry, Lord Kames, 1696-1782 (judge and philosopher) 1
- Hutchinson, Robert Anderson, 1915-1990, Veterinary Surgeon 1
- Linnaeus, Carl, 1707-1778 (Swedish taxonomist) 1
- Natural History Society of Edinburgh 1
- Owens College (Manchester) 1
- Ryder, Michael Lawson, 1927-2015 1
- Sharp, William E, fl 1908-1919 (entomologist) 1
- Thomson, Charles Wyville, 1830-1882 (naturalist and professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh) 1
- University of Edinburgh (Scottish University) 1
- University of Edinburgh, Natural History Collection. Natural History Collection (1697-1812) 1
- Walker, John, 1731-1803 (professor of natural history, University of Edinburgh and clergyman) 1 ∧ less