Subject Source: SssScope Note: Created For = CW
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents Archaeological note about Coilleag Dhonil Ghuirm describing it as being situated between Dun Bhuilg and the shore. Located there are cists full of large bones, pins, dealaga beaga and dealaga fionntrin. Carmichael notes that skeletons were found there with their hands grasping swords and woman with babies in their arms. There are many stone coffins that and there was a lot of sand on top of it.
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Loch Sgadavagh Isle [Loch Sgadabhagh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including a sketch plan of the ruins there with their dimensions, noting that there is a place for the boat at the door an destimating the age [of ruins] to be two or three hundred years old. Carmichael states that the loch is named after the island of Scadabhagh which is 'low, green & flat' and notes that thick heather or eilteach grows there. He adds that there is a pillar about five feet high at...
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael. Written on the inside front cover is '2/9 1870. Oban' and on the flyleaf is '[deleted: Twas] Friday 2 Sep[tember]. 1870. 12 noon from Ob[an]'. Folios 1-3r and 75r to 117v are blank. The text on folio 3v and 4r and 4v is written updside down and is later text (29 January 1875). The contents are in two distinct sections, the first being material collected on Lios Mòr/Lismore and the second being material collected in South Uist. Much of the...
Dates: 2 September 1870 to 7 October 1875
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing primarily songs and stories collected in Miùghlaigh/Mingulay, Barraigh/Barra, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist and Eilean Leòdhais/Isle of Lewis. The main informants are Roderick MacNeil or Ruairidh an Rùma from Mingulay and Penelope MacLellan of Ormacleit/Ormaclete. The bulk of the material from MacNeil relates to the southernmost islands of the Hebrides and covers topics such as bird-fowling, the island way of life, place-names,...
Dates: c1868 to 16 June 1876
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael containing the stories 'Rocabarrai' and 'Cugarbhad'; some songs and song fragments; customs relating to religious festivals, particularly on the Isle of Barra; stories about the MacNeil of Barra; stories and archaeological notes on Castle Beagram [Caisteal Bheagram, Uibhist a Deas/South Uist]; cattle charms and stories about the Lochlannaich [Vikings]. As well as archaeological notes on chapels and cemeteries the majority of the notebook entries...
Dates: 1870 to 1872
Scope and Contents Field notebook belonging to Alexander Carmichael, inscribed on the inside cover with 'Alexander A Carmichael Inland Revenue Lochmaddy N[orth] Uist 15/7 1870 Note Book No 8'. The majority of this notebook contains material collected on Tarasaigh/Taransay from the MacDonalds at Paible House, Mor or Marion MacQueen and Donald MacKinnon including notes on the island's archaeology, local history and geographical changes, with stories of how coastal erosion revealed burial sites and renditions of the...
Dates: 15 July 1870 to 19 October 1871
Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites on An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye, 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Journal account entitled 'Notes' from a trip looking at archaeological sites in which Carmichael describes leaving Lochmaddy [Loch nam Madadh, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] and arriving at Ord [An t-Òrd, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach/Isle of Skye]. He notes that two stone coffins were found at Ionnaraulaviag or Ionnaraulaigidh [Inbhir Amhlabhaig/Inver Aulavaig] in the summer of 1864. He notes stones and rocks called Clach ullain, Eilean Ruridh [Clach Ullain and Eilean Ruairidh] and that on the latter...
Dates: 18 December 1865
Scope and Contents Story collected from Alexander MacDonald, Cladach Chirceboist/Claddach Kirkibost, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist which tells how Mac Thomais [Mac Thòmais] came home and built the west gable of the Temple [Teampull na Trionaid/Temple of the Trinity]. He meant to reroof the building too but Moraire Ban [Morair Bàn] would not let him. He adds that 'Sgeir ioc Thomais (?Ceiseam) is below the Temple' [Sgeir ic Coiseam].
Dates: 20 January 1871