Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

North Uist Inverness-shire Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid, 18 January 1871

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW116/134
Scope and Contents Archaeological and historical notes on Teampul na Trianaid collected from John Mac Innon [John MacKinnon], Carnish [Teampull na Trionaid, Cairinis/Carinish, Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist] including that it was built by Nin Mhic Dhuil Latharna [Nighean Mhic Dhùghaill, a daughter of MacDougall of Lorn] who went around building in different places to leave a name behind her. MacKinnon recalls seeing charred wood on top of the temple as a result of wood being burnt across Scotland in one night 'the...

Note relating to Duns around North Uist, c1872

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/75
Scope and Contents Note relating to Duns around North Uist some having their location or appearance described. Duns mentioned are: Dun Du, Loch Hanndary [Dùn Dubh, Loch]; Dun-more Iollairy [Dùn Mòr Iolaraigh], Dun na holla Baileshear [Dùn na h-Òla, Baile Sear/Baleshare], Dun na Dise [Dùn na Dìse], Dun -a ghemhlich, Loch Una [Dùn a' Gheimlich, Loch Huna], Dun ban, Loch carsva [Dùn Bàn, Loch Carabhat], Dun Loch Hundary W[est] Lee [Dùn] [all Uibhist a Tuath/North Uist]. The note also mentions that three duns built...

Story about Am Morair Ban visiting the temple at Cairinis, 23 March 1869

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW107/30
Scope and Contents Story about the Morair Ban [Am Morair Bàn or Sir Alexander MacDonald], who when visiting North Uist [Uibhist a Tuath] asked an old, intelligent man called 'Gillean mac Gillean' to visit the temple at Cairinis [Carinish] with him. When he asked Gillean when the temple was built he replied that it was 476 years ago and looked in a red book in his pocket and confirmed it. The builder was the second wife of the MacDonalds of the day daughter of MacDugall of Lorn.