Skip to main content

Ardchattan and Muckairn Argyllshire Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

List of place-names and a note about lights, 6 July 1892

Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/8
Scope and Contents

List of place-names and a note about lights probably collected from Duncan MacNiven, retired schoolmaster, Airds Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire including the different places known as 'Cnoc-Aingil', 'Dun-chathaich' and 'Dun-Cr[e]ag[ach]'. Some of the place-names are bracketed and the note reads 'These were lighted on danger' but it is not clear from the text exactly which place-names relate to lights. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.

Dates: 6 July 1892

Note about a Celtic cross at Cloi na Mac Rì, 1884

Identifier: Coll-97/CW120/239
Scope and Contents

Note about a Celtic cross at Cloi na Mac Rì [Glenamachrie, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire]. The location is given as a round sharp hillock close to the road but the original location as 'down behind garden and outhouses'.

Dates: 1884

Note about stone at Clad na mac Ri, October 1892

Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/49
Scope and Contents

Note about a stone at Clad na mac Ri [Cladh na Mac Rìgh/Glenamachrie] that there are '3 heads cut in stone' noting other places in the area Creag Mac Ri Usenched [possibly Creag Mhic Rìgh Uisneach] and Bealach Creag Mac Rìgh [Bealach Chreag Mhic Rìgh] and Airdenry Farm [Airdeny], Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire.

Dates: October 1892

Story about 'Creag-mac-Righ', 18 September 1890

Identifier: Coll-97/CW1/23
Scope and Contents

Story which reads 'Creag-mac-Righ about Ardenny where son of Alex[ander] II fell over rock' [Creag Mhic Rìgh both Airdeny both Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire].

Dates: 18 September 1890