Caibeal na Meallach Isle of Barra Inverness-shire Scotland
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Archaeological notes on Caibeal Cross E and Caibeal na Meallach, 4 March 1874
Scope and Contents Archaeological notes on Caibeal Cross E, Caibeal na Meallach both Barraigh/Isle of Barra, giving the dimensions and wall thicknesses and describing Caibeal na Meallach as being built of lime, on a flat plan and tha it has been 'ploughed close up to it'.
Dates: 4 March 1874
Note about Caibeal Cui-Chros-é and Colla mac Spéir, 12 August 1871
Scope and Contents Note about Caibeal Cui-Chros-é and Colla mac Spéir collected from Daniel Macinnon [Daniel or Donald MacKinnon] Grin [Grithean/Grean, Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. The note describes the situation of the chapel as being 'fo bhonn na beinne bige on the south side of Beinn Eoligearry at Meallach' [Beinn Bheag Eolaigearraidh], that it is marked by a standing stone and that Colla mac Spéir built it but was also burned in it. Carmichael notes that it was referred to in Martin Martin's book ...
Dates: 12 August 1871