Skip to main content

Allathasdal Isle of Barra Inverness-shire Scotland

Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Fragment of a story in which a man has a vision of himself, 1901

Identifier: Coll-97/CW110/19
Scope and Contents

Fragment of a story in which a man from Cille bharra [Cille Bharra, Barraigh/Isle of Barra] has a vision of himself at Allasdal [Allasdale]. The text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.

Dates: 1901

Notes on archaeology on Isle of Barra, September 1872

Identifier: Coll-97/CW90/164
Scope and Contents

Notes on archaeology on Isle of Barra [Barraigh] including that tree roots and nuts are in the peatmoss there and that there are no submarine buildings. He also mentions pollagan [primitive handmills] being found near Allasdale [Allathasdal].

Dates: September 1872

Story about a fairy enchantment, 1867

Identifier: Coll-97/CW114/29
Scope and Contents Story about a fairy enchantment telling how a man in Allasdal [Allathasdal/Allasdale, Barraigh/Isle of Barra], which was 'always famous for its fair[ies]' was pestered so much by a beautiful fairy woman whom he could not resist that he emigrated to America. He was advised to make sure that not a single belonging of his was left behind. Unfortunately, he left an 'old harrow in the back door of his kiln barn' and so the fairy was still able to trouble him. He wrote to family and friends on...
Dates: 1867

Story about An Carra Bhoradh, 21 May 1869 to December 1870

Identifier: Coll-97/CW150/10
Scope and Contents Story about An Carra Bhoradh collected from Don M Phie [Donald MacPhee], blacksmith, Breuvaig [BrÚibhig/Breivig, Barraigh/Isle of Barra]. The stone [An Carra Bhoradh] is described as having been used as a brangas and its dimensions noted. MacPhee tells how iron was put through the hole in the stone and then around the neck of the 'delinquents'. The last woman to be put in the brangas was Mairi Thaillear [Nic an t-Saoir] [Mary MacIntyre] from Allasdale [Allathasdal] because she had stolen...
Dates: 21 May 1869 to December 1870