Skip to main content

Ardchattan and Muckairn (parish) Argyllshire Scotland

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

List of place-names and a note about lights, 6 July 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/8
Scope and Contents List of place-names and a note about lights probably collected from Duncan MacNiven, retired schoolmaster, Airds Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire including the different places known as 'Cnoc-Aingil', 'Dun-chathaich' and 'Dun-Cr[e]ag[ach]'. Some of the place-names are bracketed and the note reads 'These were lighted on danger' but it is not clear from the text exactly which place-names relate to lights. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 6 July 1892

Note about stone at Clad na mac Ri, October 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/49
Scope and Contents Note about a stone at Clad na mac Ri [Cladh na Mac Rìgh/Glenamachrie] that there are '3 heads cut in stone' noting other places in the area Creag Mac Ri Usenched [possibly Creag Mhic Rìgh Uisneach] and Bealach Creag Mac Rìgh [Bealach Chreag Mhic Rìgh] and Airdenry Farm [Airdeny], Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire.
Dates: October 1892

Story about crossing a loch, quoting Iain Bhain, porter, 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/25
Scope and Contents Story about two men crossing Loch Etive at Runan carnan [Rubha nan Càrn, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] which quotes Iain Bhain, porter, as saying ' A little ban bird went up last night & s[aile]d between here before either of you'. Text has been scored through as if transcribed elsewhere.
Dates: 1892

Story entitled 'Cruban Dunan is Baidein', September 1870

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW106/61
Scope and Contents Story entitled 'Cruban Dunan is Baidein' telling of three brothers who were the first people to come to Lios Mòr/Lismore, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire. They came from Ceannloch [Kinloch] and Crùban built Dun Chrubain [Dùn hrùban] and Dùnan and Baidein were to build together on Druim an Dunain [Druim an dùnain] but quarrelled and so Baidein left for Sailean Sligeanach in Benderloch [Sàilean Sligeanach, Meudarloch] where he built his own township, which he called Dun Bhaidein [Dùn Bhaidein]. He...
Dates: September 1870

Verse 'Duntain chan Barra Glas' and accompanying note, October 1892

 Item
Identifier: Coll-97/CW126f/48
Scope and Contents Verse beginning 'Duntain chan Barra Glas Barr-an-Eas, Am Scuil and all the rest' [Duntanachan, Barra Glas, An Sgurr, Earra Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] and accompanying note which states that a lady in a town beseiged in the Peninsular War was reported to have said this [when] she put her head over a window.
Dates: October 1892